Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my suspension for the best on road smooth ride. I don't take the truck off road much just on the beach in the summers. I have an 04 D2. Wondering if there was anything out there to get a really smooth ride?

Thanks for your help.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
There's really no way to make a D2 suspension "really smooth". There will always be a higher degree of stiffness because it was designed primarily as an off-road vehicle, not a mall crawler. Chalk it up to the rigid ladder frame, two solid axles, archaic shock/spring setup, and the inherent weight of the truck. Try as you might, you cannot get this thing to be all soft like a Lexus.

The "softest" suspension you can get is likely a stock replacement. This will give you an acceptable blend of stiffness and forgiveness, but expect only 30K miles or so out of it before the weight of the car compresses the springs and the shocks begin to fail again, spoiling the quality.

The aftermarket offers countless options but pretty much all of them put an emphasis on lift, increased towing, and improved off-road characteristics. This pretty much ensures a stiffer ride that can be pretty jarring on-road. Not something you're looking for.

I have a Terrafirma "Medium Duty" (2" Lift) kit installed on my 2003 and I'm quite pleased with it. It's considerably stiffer than stock, but that leads to vastly improved road holding and body-lean almost disappears under normal driving conditions. It feels so much more planted than it used to, but unless you're on a flat section of road the ride quality can be a little jarring as the stiffer components transmit vibrations and bumps to the body more readily.

You're kind of limited in your options. Bottom line, a stock suspension will probably be the smoothest, if only temporarily, while an aftermarket suspension will handle much better for much longer at the expense of comfort.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.