Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to lift my 97 Discovery SE 3 inches and unfortunately ome does not make a 3 inch lift, so I come here to hear all of your opinions on Rovertym's 3'' 330lbs-360lbs springs? Would putting in spacers with the OME springs work instead and would it be a wise decision? Isnt it just easier to put in place a 3'' spring? What are your opinions on Rancho's springs? Also on top of the 3'' suspension lift, would it be too much to add a 2'' body lift? I already have a safety devices roof rack and I'm concerned that the body lift would make the center of gravity too high of an already high vehicle. I know that someone suggested taking out the quarter pannel not long ago in a similar question but would that work with a tire that is 265x85x16? What are your opinions on the Old Man Emu LTR suspesions? I only ask because just recently I took my stock truck to hollister and realized how much easier it would be with a lift, larger tires and not to mention LOCKERS, but I have made my decision on the lockers already. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

· Banned
907 Posts
RTE has some good stuff. They have had their share of problems in the begining, but the new springs are awesome.

Adding a 2" body lift to the 3" springs is ok. You should not have any problems with that. You will, however, get mixed reviews on the body lift, usalley from people who have never had one, so take it with a grain of salt...

OME shocks are ok, but the Bilistens, I think, are better. The bills (7000 series) are completely rebuildable, and is a quality product. If it were my money, I would spend the extra few bucks on the bills...

OME makes a good spring. In fact, I have a set of HD rears on my truck. But, the RTE stuff is very nice, and if I were to replace them, I would use RTE's.

Of course, with a 3"+ lift, you may run into drive line vibes....I would just call Steve at RTE and get a quote on the whole deal ( brake lines, drive shafts, f/r links, retainers/cones, etc...). If you get everything you need from Steve, I'm sure you can get a package deal.

· Registered
674 Posts
Ricky....a cuple of things I have heard about Rovertyme stuff...

1. Their products are well manufactured
  2. They stand behind their products with 100% support
  3. They use their products...check out the Rovertyme Disco on their website
  4. They support the Land Rover community
  5. They have a great following of VERY happy buyers
Just my .02c.....I would recommend any company that you could say the above for these days!

· Registered
37 Posts
Rovertym gets my nod

I have recently installed the RTE 2" lift to my RR, a '95 Classic. I love it. I took the front and rear swaybars off for better articulation, so it likes to sway a bit, no bother though. The combination of the RTE H/D springs and Rancho 9000x shocks has been a big surprise. I was hearing that the Rancho's are rough riders. The 9000x's are adjustable, I have them set at their mid settings and I am really happy. I went with the 2" vs. the 3" because of the aforementioned driveline issues. I figure that if later I want to go up I can, since I have done the basics(for the most part).

What I have:
2" H/D springs front and rear
coil conversion kit
lower spring retainers in the rear
Rancho 9000x shocks
Dislocation cones for the rear
Radius arms for the rear
Rear brake lines
Track rod and drag links w/new tie rod ends
Steering damper relocation

I am now running a 15" wheel with a 31x10.5-15 tire(Firestone Destination M/T) with ZERO clearance issues. I really like the tire too. :D

Very happy customer

--Kris

· Registered
37 Posts
Abs

I was worried too about the length of the lines for the ABS. I installed all of the suspension pieces and the brake lines and then let the axle go to full droop, "nada problem!". The good thing is that the RTE guys are informed and have worked through most of this stuff, ask away and Steve will help you out.

--Kris

· Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
That's a nice ride thereKristopher, but I have a couple of questions. Is it possible to run with 33'' or 34'' tires with your set up? Do your tires tuck in easily when they start to articulate? Also what brand of steering relocation unit are you using?

· Registered
37 Posts
The Parts

I have 31" tires on the RR and this is a big as it will take. Granted this is a "true" 31. They are Firestone Destination M/T's. In those pics, there is about a 1/4" clearance on the left front wheel at the rear of the fender well. But to date I have had ZERO clerance issues. I also have the RTE steering stabilizer relocation kit with the new track rod and drop link. I, for the life of me, cannot understand the stock location, it makes ZERO sense. Also note that I have non-stock wheels. I bought the wheels from Gulf Coast Rovers. With their offset I had no adjustements to make to the steering stops and no fender rolling either. If you are doing a Disco, I have been told that the RR's have more rear fender clearance, but with 31's you should not have a problem. Bigger may require fender trimming. Steve at RTE is very knowledgeable, he and his wife drive a Disco with a 5" lift and 35" tires. Give 'em a ring.

--Kris

Ps. Thanks for the kind words, too :drink1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.