Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone swapped out the Land rover engine for a Ford -Chevy- Dodge in a 2002 discovery?
I am looking at one with a blown motor- I like the car but the motors in these things sound like a headache. and get bad MPG.
a simple easy LS1 with a turbo 400 sounds good to me?
lets here your thoughts-----:dunno:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just called Kennedy adapters and they have never made an adapter and have no interest in making one... maybe someone should ?
many years ago I did a few Jaguar chevy-T400 swaps and that sure made a nice car.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Marks 4WD Adaptors

I don't think your going to see a big improvement in mpg though going with a 3 speed non-overdrive transmission like the TH400 though

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Use one with an aluminum block. But heads up all aluminum blocks suck as much as this one. I would use an ls1. Keep us updated...no one ever does. In a disco 2 I would worry about t.c. and so on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using a 400ci. small block chevy T400 and I have a gear vender laying around maybe If the gas mileage still sucks I will install the GV,
the motor needs to be freshened up so-Building the motor for gas mileage, good old carburetor & HEI distributor, and that should do it--for now it is going to be 2WD it's for the wife.. so if anyone needs some factory drive line
parts let me know-

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
TC = Traction Control

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
^^^^√… the ultimate question on newer vehicles is piggy back the existing ecu so it all functions proper or rip it all out and not worry. I I guess the window ecu, or bcm whatever, is seperate. How bout the transmission controller, or change the tranny for a 4l60 or 700r4...then how bout the transfer case. Most info I've come across is the existing motor can be worked and is an aluminum v8. I think swaps in this vehicle may require changing too much about what makes this vehicle so great. Traction control which seems genius to me and an ultimately balanced vehicle. Start changing things and all is lost I'm afraid. Unless your willing to spend 10k or so on a legitimate swap...at that point why not just rig up the rover v8....

This topic has been covered well and hardly no one responds nor have I seen a clean legit swap done on a DII. I've seen some diesel swaps...they cost a lot of money but at least some of these have followed up and I can say I've seen one.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Maybe traction control doesn't matter that much to him really. Off-roading is out anyways since he says this
for now it is going to be 2WD it's for the wife.. so if anyone needs some factory drive line
parts let me know-
2wd Disco two with a 400 SBC and a TH400 trans. It should be good for 15mpg if he's lucky.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I race in the Lucas oil off road racing series,, been in a Pro-2 for years but I cant afford 500 grand a year any more -- so I am having fun in the Pro unlimited buggy class now and building a new all wheel drive car.. with that said traction control is great and some guys tried it in LOORRS and it works! but there are many systems on the market today that are reasonably priced and will work with the Chevy and a MSD ignition -- The one I like works off of a satellite ---
I got this car for the wife --- If I want to go off road? I get my fix in a bad ass pro buggy and it will eat up any Range Rover.
I sold her gay ford escape and now I'm hearing about it every day :help all she wanted was another Gayscape or something that looks close:drive:
so if I have to ride in something that looks like a gayscape I am going to ride in style-- RIGHT? you have to admit this LR is the Rolls Royce of Minnie SUV's-- and lets be real TC on a car that has 200 HP? un less your in a mud bog--what good is it? its just something to go wrong-- or doesnt work anyway----

The 400 chevy is not going to stock-- the Camshaft for starters and fuel management and ECU are from my racing world--
I think if I get the weight down and throw a simple gas mileage set up at it-- I will be at 25 mpg + and a ton of power... and realible! great for the wife that will cut off my balls as I sleep if I take her disco 2 off road and thrash it..
bottom line is this Disco will never see dirt like 95% of these cars---
Thats my $ .02 on this car---
I paid $1475.00 for it on ebay buy the time i sell all the drive train (but the axles) and whats left of the motor ( threw a rod out the oil pan) I should be at zero-- I may have a grand in the chevy and trans and it will be trouble free and the wife will be happy.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

who in ther right mind would take a luxury suv with leather that cost
Maybe traction control doesn't matter that much to him really. Off-roading is out anyways since he says this

2wd Disco two with a 400 SBC and a TH400 trans. It should be good for 15mpg if he's lucky.

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Right on. Confused how with all those answers, there was a question in the first place.... anxious to hear back from you with some swap information/decisions.

What ford power plant were you considering using?

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Actually the traction control systems on the DII is really quite good. Not just off road but in low traction conditions on road as well.

Good luck on your project.

I'm guessing you don't live in a state that tests as you will run into issues with OBD II compliance on a DII

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last camshaft I got from Mike Jones of Jones camshafts in Denver NC. for my ford E350 box truck went from 7mpg (on a good day)to 12mpg loaded up and towing, it also gave the 460Ci motor around a 100 more HP --
Jones has done many cams for me over the years and every time they do about the same -- 100hp and over 5 mpg more
HOME

1 - 15 of 15 Posts