Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.
I have an 85 D110 with original 3.5 V8. Having a 4.6l new motor built. The mechanic says that my old headers will bolt on.
First question, is this true? from a 3.5 to a 4.6?
Second question, is there a better option? Aftermarket? Can't get a clear picture of what this may be. Not looking for original Land Rover cast headers.
Lastly, with a recommendation for headers, will there be any clearance issues?

Thanks for your expertise!

Administrator
Welcome to the forum
Yes the manifolds will bolt up the same 3.6 vs 4.6馃憤
as for anything available to replace the cast manifolds I don鈥檛 know of any unless you get into having a custom set welded up.

Reactions: RoversisRovers

Registered
Welcome to the forum
Yes the manifolds will bolt up the same 3.6 vs 4.6馃憤
as for anything available to replace the cast manifolds I don鈥檛 know of any unless you get into having a custom set welded up.
Thought I would comment to you, Mr Rovers, as well. I have a 101 with a 4.6 special build block in it. Everything old still fits on - sort of. I have modified SD1 heads on it. Old ex. manifolds but I have eyed off the stainless ex. headers on some of the 4.6 HSEs. Very trim & neat (light weight as well). More importantly you will need a modern inlet manifold to get decent performance. I used a Thor from one of the Discos to replace the old twin Stromberg manifold that came from the 3.5. It felt like 20 - 30% more output after I changed this over. Tony K.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I would comment to you, Mr Rovers, as well. I have a 101 with a 4.6 special build block in it. Everything old still fits on - sort of. I have modified SD1 heads on it. Old ex. manifolds but I have eyed off the stainless ex. headers on some of the 4.6 HSEs. Very trim & neat (light weight as well). More importantly you will need a modern inlet manifold to get decent performance. I used a Thor from one of the Discos to replace the old twin Stromberg manifold that came from the 3.5. It felt like 20 - 30% more output after I changed this over. Tony K.
All good to hear Tony K, thanks
The new 4.6 build will have a Weber intake and '4x4' carb. as per RPI's build style. I don't love either of those, but they are easily changes.
For what it's worth I found nice pair of new headers for LHD from Rimmer Bros. - with a Lambda port. A bit pricey, but they look nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts