Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I am swapping out my tranny for my 2000 Disco II. I am trying to remove the hand brake drum cover and it looks like it requires the biggest Phillips head screwdriver I've seen. Can anyone tell me what size that is. Phillips size #3 is too small. I'm thinking #4 or #5 . Anybody know?? And who sells them, I've been to 3 places and can't find bigger than a #3 . I really don't want to strip this one!
Thanks,
-Heather

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Hi Heather
you actually dont want to use a phillips - its a similar drive called a pozidrive - if you use a phillips it has a different end shape and you stand a very good chance of stripping the screw and its one you don't want to strip.
I use a 3/8 drive pozi #4 - I find it a lot easier than a screwdriver. If I cant move it with the 3/8ths drive I put it on my impact driver (using a 1/2 to 3/8 adaptor) just to loosen it.
cheers
Barri

Attachments

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
NO problems Heather
the pozidrive has steep flat surfaces so the screw can be torqued down to a specific torque and the bit is not designed to cam out (slip over the edge before it breaks the head off) like a phillips - the Pozidrive is a much stronger head and can take a fair amount of torque before it strips.

you can get the number 4 size (biggest size available) at a variety of places
Amazon
Columbian #4 Pozi Bit 3/8" Drive #36562 - - Amazon.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.