Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I posted this in the off-road section because it is exactly what I was looking for before I actually took my swaybar off, so im not thinking of it as showing off. np moving it if its still the incorrect section.

Ok these are the before and after pics of the front swaybar only being removed. I also took it on a couple hour long trial run on some nearby trails to test it out and I have to say its a major improvement. Not only does it improve the articulation, but it feels a ton better. A crazy difference! Before I would feel every dip and small rock that I hit, now its extremely dampened because the axle can just articulate freely. Another thing is that it kept the rover much flatter when crossing small ditches, again, because the front could articulate freely and not be pulled around by the sway bar. The downside is that it drives like $h!t on the road, and I like the peace of mind that I am running w/ a sway bar. Therefore, I have decided to buy disconnects as my next small modification; they are $150 for SlickRock front ones at EE.

Before:

After:

yay....now everyone who didnt know before knows.

Conclusion: buy the disconnects.

· Registered
65 Posts
I agree. I want to remove my swaybars as well, but I think I am going to get my lift first. I have SLS in the rear and don't want to break or unseat any air bags. I just had warrenty work done on the compressor(water in it - I wonder how that got there?!) and another problem might send up a red flag to the warranty people about what I am doing with the truck in my spare time. Let me know how you like the disconnects and how easy/hard they were to install. At least my backordered breathers will be here this week. The water last weekend was a bit deep for my peace of mind.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
nice pics... we need tail photos for evidence too...lol... Glad you like the difference

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Keptin save your money , screw the disconnects! Just ditch the swaybars altogether. :buttrock: Don't have em on my D1 front and rear with stock suspension and it's not bad at all. Of course there is a difference, but hey I'm not driving a sports car. I guess I took them off because I missed the ride in my 89 RRC that didn't even come with any swaybars! :D

· Registered
176 Posts
looks great - I'd say ditch the rear (which is what we've done on our 97 D1) and put disconnects on the front just for safety's sake ... BUT .... don't forget to lengthen your brake lines!!! Nice stainless steel lines not only look good - they last in water and are nice and flexible :)

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Badger1 said:
Keptin save your money , screw the disconnects! Just ditch the swaybars altogether. :buttrock: Don't have em on my D1 front and rear with stock suspension and it's not bad at all. Of course there is a difference, but hey I'm not driving a sports car. I guess I took them off because I missed the ride in my 89 RRC that didn't even come with any swaybars! :D

badger, im keeping it safe; taking the swaybars off cant keep it as streetable/safe as with them. Im thinking about modifying the rear sway bar links so they are quick disconnects also; either that or buying a set for a cherokee; but that would be more ca$h. I rather spend the $150.

Ripper, thanks for reminding me, I nearly forgot about the longer braided brake lines; I will definatly look into those; have to research it first though.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Keptin as long as you think about your driving while your behind the wheel you'll be fine. Don't tailgate, scan the road ahead so you are not suprised and suddenly have to swerve. I guess I have been without them for such a long time that I am used to it. It feels weird when I am in my wifes D2, I get that whoa, whoa , WHOA your going into this corner WAY too fast feeling, and she's looking at me like I am nuts. But that's what I'm used to. That's cool though about the disconnects, that's what my wife wants no bar on the back and disconnects on the front. Let me know if putting them on is a tough job. :drink1:

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont have them yet, but I can tell you thats its no problem. Ive taken the front sway off and on twice now for testing; eventhough its a pain, it only takes like 10 mins, and everytime we go out on the trail I help my buddy disconnect his jeep front sway, takes like 12secs each side. Though, i can confirm this for you when I do get them.

· Registered
128 Posts
If you were to change the nuts that hold the lower links on to standard nuts instead of locknuts, removing the whole bar would only take a couple minutes. 2 nuts, 2 bolts, and off she comes. As for handling, my D1 with no bars handles like ****. On occasion, it's scary as Hell at best, downright dangerous at worse. Unexpected body roll coupled with several inches of raised centre of gravity is not conducive to safe motoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.