Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this upgrade that I am doing for water gas tire and jack support. The first picture is how I have had them mounted for a long time.

I am in the process of inverting my roof rack (Will be in a separate posting) and extending it so I can get in and out of parking garages when the occasion arrives. SO I figured it would be as good time as any to build the rear gate.

The First picture is the way it was before I started.

The bumper was bent up on the side I needed to mount the pivot pole hinge, but I was able to bend it back into place from the side and it worked well.

Pic 2 and 3 is the pole hinge and the bumper repaired. The hinge is mounted with 2 bolts with spacers that go all the way through the bumper to the body.

As with everything else I ever do on this rig I re-purposed all of the materials to build this. I will leave the re-purpose description after the final pictures are posted.

Pic 4-5-6 I reinforced the swing out part of the gate with a 1/4-inch steel plate attached to both the bumper and the body that acts as a support as the gate swings open.

Pic 7-8 Shows the swing action.

Pic 9-10 Show both gates open at the same time. (Both have 45-degree capability)

Pic 11-12 Show the cut out of the metal grid panel to give better visuals to the licence plate and better footing when climbing up to the roof rack.

Pic 13 Is the roughed in project. I still have the additional mounting hardware to install as well as truck bed coating over all the exposed metal parts.

More to come....

Tex

Attachments

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also just realized that I used to go by the name texaninmass when I first started posting on this site. Hence the only one posting #.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright here is the finished product. I added a tailgate toolbox that I used to have for a F350 to the installation. It worked out well.

Here is the Photo link:
https://goo.gl/photos/Csbi4M1smqW7Rcvs9

The gate was made with the following:

The hinge bracket is from a old hi lift jack that I had back when I was farming coastal hay years ago in Fort Worth.
The pole is also from the same jack.
The steel grid panel is was originally a clothing display that I picked up from a store in Cambridge, Ma. I originally used it for a pot holder (See Below) at my house in Worcester.
I used Permatex under-carriage coating to finish it up.

Attachments

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Really cool stuff, also love the low profile roof rack.
Nice work

· Registered
3,198 Posts
I don't trust people enough to hang a petrol can off the back of my rig.
At least you have it up high though.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually only keep fuel in it when I go off road and even then only a couple of gallons. Mass was pretty weird from town to town about it.

I have a second water can that I had there for the last year..... In case I need to take a 10 gallon shower. :)

· Registered
58 Posts
This has always been a weakness for the Discovery and forced us to find our own way to solve these problems. Call this a virtual pat on the back, job VERY well done!!

I was less creative with mine. I had to adapt the Rotopax Jeep spare tire mount to a Discovery and then mount additional fuel by the Alpine windows. Spare cover no longer in use. All told still fits inside the garage too. Very important that.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you...that is a really nice setup. Those cans (Prob not cans ) are awesome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.