Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ryans ROVER
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1994 range rover county lwb...my steering is getting stuck sometimes and i think the swivel ball housing needs to be greased...does anyone know how to apply the grease? i bought the tube off the internet but i dont know how to install it...please email me if you have any idea [email protected]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
From your symptoms, you need to do more than shoot the 'one shot' grease in the swivels. But to do that, you take off the top bolt head which is the fill plug and squeeze the stuff in there.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If that doesn't fix your problem, consider changing out all your p/s fluid, add one bottle of Lucas pow steering additive and top off with power steering fluid.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
lonestarrover said:
Your steering shaft is probably binding up because the exhaust manifold heat dries out the joint bearings on the shaft causing the binding. Spray the bearing joints with WD40 see if that helps if not you probably need a new shaft.

Have any pics? My started to bind very infrequently... Just curious where exactly you were talking about..I'll look tomorrow..Thanks

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
They just don't 'dry out'. They become very brittle.
But as bad as mine was I didn't have any trouble with the steering. It was a bit dodgy with the weaving in the lane but lots of things can cause that. Bushings for one which I know need replacing.

·
ryans ROVER
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where is the top bolt head located?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Funrover said:
Have any pics? My started to bind very infrequently... Just curious where exactly you were talking about..I'll look tomorrow..Thanks
The steering drive shaft comes through the fire wall inside the engine compartment. The shaft connects to the steering box which has two flexible couplers with small bearings inside. The bearings with time and heat from the manifold will dry out and start binding. Steering will have hard spots or binding when you turn it.
I was able to cure mine by spraying the flex joints with WD-40 then exercising by turning the steering wheel back and forth. I then put a couple drops of 30 weight oil on each bearing. If the bearings are shot you will probaly have to order a new shaft.

How do you guys post pic's?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.