Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tach cuts out showing ) rpms when the engine is running and it occasionally jumps to life for a few seconds and then dies.

Is there a loose wire I should be looking for? Bad fuse? New car?????

Thanks

Eric
95 Disco 173K miles

·
Registered
347 Posts
Could be bad alternator (this is a sign), or like mine, there's a single wire that plugs into the top rear of the alternator that is for the tach. Mine was loose, I just spread the connector some on the end of the wire and pluged it back in and it is now fine.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey, thanks for posting about this, I finally got my tach to work correctly, after it hadn't functioned for almost a year. The old sender wire connector had lost connectivity at the alternator, so I crimped on a new blade connector, cleaned the alternator-side contact, and voila! Functional tachometer! :)

·
MG
771 Posts
Same thing starts happening to me about 500 km before the alternator fails (I've had it rebuilt several times already). First couple of times it was the diodes, then the bearings seized. I'm buying a new one soon...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Mine is on its way out also. It started out being really intermittant and it omnly lasted a few seconds, now it takes 5 minutes to come up, there's a whineing sound when it comes up so i think its the diode, although it may be a bearing because it shows some revs, just doesnt move when i step on it. i usually let the car warm up before i drive it anyway and it works after sitting for a bit. I sprayed some 50/50 diesel/90wt on the front bearing and it freed up a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.