Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to wire a tach to one of these beasts, i tried today, but without any luck, used the info off the "autometer" website

·
Registered
317 Posts
Clayton,

I was searching for Teri Ann Wakeman's site, as she had a nice detailed description of how to wire up an MGB tach, which might help you out...couldn't find it though...I'll have to check the bookmarks on the other computer...

Also, Bayou Jim's site might have a link as well...he's pretty good with electrickery.

But, I've learned to live w/o the tach on my series truck...there isn't much of a point since driving on the highway is pretty close to redline without an overdrive, and the shift points, well, let's just say first is enough to get you into the intersection...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Me and my father are just curious what the idle speed is at, and I am curious as to how high i am reving the engine, considering i have 10-15 minutes of 55+ MPH driving two times a day, I dont want to be reving her to high....this also might explain some of my heat issues.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you have a normal (What's normal?)system with Negative ground and points and condensor. Your tach needs a power (+) lead and a ground (-). The power can come from any source that is powered with the ignition in the "on" position. The ground can go anywhere. There is usually a power wire for a light that you can either have "on" all the time by jumpering to your power wire or set so it comes on with your headlights by running a wire to a headlight connection. The wire that excites the tach attaches to the positive (+) terminal of your coil. It is the little side wire on the coil that comes from the ignition switch. Attach it right at the coil. NOTE---this is NOT the high tension wire out of the center of the coil.

Should run great. I can't get my tach to work because I have electronic ignition and a new style tach that won't pick up the low pulse signal from the EI. Old tachs work fine with my system but the new tachs are too fancy to work without a large pulse. Damn, and the manufacturer won't help, or don't know how to. Good old US of A technology.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.