Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up evrybody, I have a question about my 93 range rover tailgate.
I just bought some new locks for my tailgate.....but before I install them on....I checked my original locks and the problem is the end locks will not lock.... with tailgate up I tested out both locks to see if they work and they do...( why did I buy new ones then??? because the lock on the right side is slightly bent ).......but as soon as I try and close it, it does not lock onto the truck...what could be the problem be? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,208 Posts
Ali, I'm trying to get the jist of what you're saying. You've got latches at the lower ends of the upper tailgate and strikers on the D pillar. So the latches are not catching properly on the strikers? If that's the case, there are two things you can try.

First, loosen the strikers and move them slightly to see if that has any affect on the latch securing properly. Sometimes all it takes is the slightest movement of the striker and suddenly the tailgate closes perfecty. Mess around with the strikers first as that is the easist and quickest possible fix.

However, if that doesn't do the trick, there are rods that can be adjusted behind the concealers on the bottom of the lower tailgate. The concealers are held in place with small screws. Carefully remove the screws and you will see the rods I'm talking about. They can be adjusted to more finely tune the latching mechanism on the upper tailgate.

Check and see if the link in the RAVE that Eugene linked to addresses this fix. You have to be careful not to strip the small screws that have now been in the tailgate rusting away for the last 20 years and then you have to be careful about the amount of adjustment you make on the rods. It shouldn't take a lot to correct the closure problem so go slow and easy.

·
1993 range rover lwb - Roman Bronze
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Eugene for the link....and thanks Paul for the info... I got it to lock because I had to unscrew the surround and carefully adjust that small nut in order for them to catch on. Now they both latch as they should.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.