Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 EFI is running roughly. At tickover it seems to be firing on all 8, but at partial throttle in top gear, around 1800 rpm it is clearly not firing on all cylinders.
I could drive through it, but it is now getting worse and worse.
I had the fright of my life as the misfire seemed to induce a sort of gyroscopic shake in the drive-train around 50mph to the point of not being able to steer the car. I thought a propshaft had come adrift or a steering linkage had come undone it was that bad.
I have never been in a vehicle that has shaken so much. It was like it was tank slapping.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can a misfire induce so much drive-train shake?

Best regards,
Philippe

·
Registered
734 Posts
philippe said:
Can a misfire induce so much drive-train shake?
Can't imagine it doing that. Sure the shake was not due to your front end? And just weird timing for it to show up? Preload, bushings, etc.? Have you checked the rotor/dist cap for cracks, etc. also have you checked the timing?

steering issue thread

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the shake is coming from the panhard rod bush under the steering box...It was looking soggy after having been generously soaked in steering fluid for 18 years. I think the bolts have loosened themselves off badly as I had recently undone them slightly in anticipation for changing the bushes for polyurethane ones. The bad running and misfire has made me paranoid about any new shakes rattles and rolls!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.