Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, long-time since I've visited.

I've got a 2004 D2, 180K miles and the Mrs. pulled into the driveway with a very rythmic, tapping sound.
If I didn't "know better", I'd say it sounded like something slapping up against the side of the block - sort of.

I am thinking MAYBE flex plate, but am really just getting started.
Any directions on diagnosing would be so appreciated.

So far,
On warm-up and idle: nothing.
Drive to starbucks: yes, sound presents itself.
Warmed up, but shut off and re-started: nothing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Could be numerous things including flex plate.
How are your temps these days?
I would try to isolate where is sounds the loudest as a starting point

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Mrs. just got home from work, 10 miles away.
No noise the whole way. Nada.
Hmmm...

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Does it sound like valvetrain? Maybe a sticky lifter?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don’t “think” so. It sounded lower down - louder with my head in the wheel well.

But then again, sounds by ear are tricky And it disappeared before i could get under there to “hear with my eyes”.

stay tuned

·
Expert Crate Digger
264 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have D-rings installed on your bumper that is making the noise?

·
Drives like an old man
410 Posts
I had a terrible noise coming from "somewhere" under the hood, but I couldn't track it down. It got worse as the engine warmed. I was afraid I'd slipped a liner. It was a rhythmic tap-tap-tap. It turned out to be one of the nuts on the exhaust manifold flange to the H-pipe had come off and I had a small exhaust leak. Replaced the donut and the nut and it's all quiet now. Just my experience.

·
very disco
1,639 Posts
I had an 03 back in the day which developed a rhythmic ticking/tapping at idle when warm. Never figured it out lol, not from lack of trying. Wasn’t top like I suspected

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The odd thing is the sound is intermittent, yet coincides with the rpms when it does present itself - so I've been told by the mrs. since I have not yet had it in my possession whilst the sound was happening - though I did hear it myself momentarily. Then it vanished. And has come back "at times" according to the Mrs.

·
very disco
1,639 Posts
Haha that was my own personal hell

·
very disco
1,639 Posts
Years.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I drove it for several stop & start errands (similar to reported conditions from the Mrs. when the sound presented itself) but in my case - nada. Nil. Ziltch.
No sound present.
Hmmm....

·
very disco
1,639 Posts
How long were your drives and did you reach/maintain operating temp for any real duration?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Multiple 2-5 mile drives.
and yes on the operating temp.

Here’s yesterday’s report from Mrs.:
“No clicking yesterday but back today.“

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slipped sleeve- 180k- almost certain if the sound is coming from the block- when it's cold it moves- when it warms up (and expands) it stays put. Pretty common. Could be serious- cold go another 80k with no issues- but super, super common on all 4.6 liter Rover motors they put in the D2's. The Range Rovers got the good blocks- the D2's didn't- is what it is.

·
very disco
1,639 Posts
I believe the OP’s situation is similar to mine, where it was fine cold and began making noise when warm.

The issue you mention is super common, but not always the case

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To clarify: the tapping sound presents itself when warm (as opposed to cold).
AND
Today it was there when the Mrs. got home so I slid underneath.
The sound disappeared that very moment, BUT re-presented itself after giving it a little gas.

Coming right from the bell housing and in rhythm with the spin of the plate, which I can see because I have long ago lost the two rubber plugs on each front-facing side of the bell housing.

This is where I'm at, but certainly want to hear what you all have to say.

Thanks for being such righteous rover folks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts