Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering buying a Freelander diesel. The New TD4 (BMW powerplant) models are still very expensive.
What is the downside of buying an earlier 2.0TDI version, particularily if it has HDC whatever that is).
Or should i buy an even earlier Discovery 300TDI

regards
David Low

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi, i'm a UK Land Rover Technician and in answer to your question,the earlier 2.0d Freelander was under powered by comparison to the later common rail Td4.Oil leaks are not uncommon,neither are clutch failures,cam belts are a bitch to replace also!
HDC is Hill Descent Control,an addition to the ABS system which is used to electronically control the speed of the vehicle when going downhill (offroad)
Disco Tdi's are ok,however (surprise surprise)they leak oil,in my opinion the cam belt should be changed before due mileage as failure will cause top end damage(broken rockers,bent pushrods and possible follower damage.
I hope i have given you useful info,not too much doom and gloom!
scoobymick
one thing i forgot,if you fill a TD4 with petrol and run it,Land Rover policy is to replace the ENTIRE fuel system.This entails tank,pumps,lines injectors etc,this works out to around £5000 out of your pocket.If you don't have this done,Land Rover will void your engine/fuel system warranty!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts