Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The reaction time between the accelerator peddle and road wheels on my 2004 TD5 is at best boring whilst waiting for things to happen, but at worst downright dangerous.
Is it possible to improve this or is it yet another disco quirk that I'll have to live with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 Soth African Update

Have recently purchsed a Disco II TD5 and am having exactly the same reaction.
Am busy trying various contacts to reassure me that this is "normal"

Any comments from out there?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 99 TD5 Auto.

The only time I notice any noticeable delay is on take off when it is sluggish for about a second with the turbo lag. When accelerating in traffic generally all is good as any turbo lag is alleviated by the automatic transmission dropping down a gear if neccessary. The only time it's not is when it stays in a high gear which would be due to only pushing the accelerator a small amount to accelerate.

Turbo lag seems to be present up until about 2000rpm. This can be a pain in a manual until you learn to drive around the issue but with an auto the computer either keeps you in the right gear or puts you there as described above.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 99 TD5 Auto.

The only time I notice any noticeable delay is on take off when it is sluggish for about a second with the turbo lag. When accelerating in traffic generally all is good as any turbo lag is alleviated by the automatic transmission dropping down a gear if neccessary. The only time it's not is when it stays in a high gear which would be due to only pushing the accelerator a small amount to accelerate.

Turbo lag seems to be present up until about 2000rpm. This can be a pain in a manual until you learn to drive around the issue but with an auto the computer either keeps you in the right gear or puts you there as described above.

Hope this helps.
I know the exact problem you have, same thing Ive noticed, put your foot down and the engine takes a moment to even respond.
Perhaps giving the wastegate barrel adjuster a complete turn away from the turbo could give a bit better respone, up the boost slightly.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It definitely sounds like turbo lag...

I had an old 1996 Ford powerstroke diesel with the same symtoms. You could push on the accelerator - get out, get a cup of coffee from dunkin doughnuts and still have time to take a couple sips before it would finally kick in :drive: Once it got going it had the torque to tow a house... it just took patience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Turbo lag

Hi from South Africa !

We have lots of Td5's here and it definitely is a problem - I drive a 2004 Disco Td5 ( Auto ) and removed the centre silencer box and replaced with a straight through pipe - rear silencer box still in place - this has made a great difference in turbo spin up when doing a pull away from stand still !!!! Does not affect anything else ! Makes a difference when you need to cross an interesection quickly !!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts