Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

TD6 Defender

25K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  OCEAN I 
#1 ·
I have read that a German Landrover Defender owner converted his landy to be powered by the new TD6 engine....I am very interested as I find that my TD5 does not have enought power particularly in our hot African conditions where ambient temperatures are mostly over 35 degree C...seems intercooler does not function effectively. I have upgraded the intercooler, chip etc which only helps somewhat...The engine really battles in soft sand pulling a trailer etc...and I worry about my turbo and drive-train breaking again.....Landover Defenders competitors viz. Landcuiser 78/79's and Nissan Patrols seem to be a lot better in the power stakes in these conditions...and have become more favoured (particularly Landcruiser) in most of the African countries for this reason as well as the more 'basic' technology which they say is more reliable...so whilst I love the charissma of my Landy...my eyes are straying...I would really appreciate if someone could convince me otherwise!!!

#3 ·
The Designers of the Defender TD5 lost the plot

Yes...I know that the TD6 conversion would be more expensive...But I really love my landy...although biggest problem is even more complexity...!

My landy has lots of charisma...although being stuck in Angola with a blown EMU/ECU or turbo whilst there is alot of 'Cruiser parts arround will make me wish for a heartless Toyota...

But why on earth did they make the landy TD5 so complicated and so weak (kw power and reliability of parts under stress)...? The designers should get out into some of the godforsaken parts of the world where you need simplicty and brute power in a vehicle...Did they lose the plot and try and make a another SUV in wolf's clothing...

I can imagine that Ford will increase the Defender power with a Ford engine...but that does not solve the problem of availability of parts etc in the third world...and anyway Ford does not rate highly in consumers perception for reliability...

Maybe the Defender XD which is for the millitary market has corrected these problems...but then they are not available to civilians??

Poor Defender...

#6 · (Edited)
If you want more power without the complexity, you could try the TGV 2.8 engine from International in Brazil.

It's a modern, bigger version of the 2.5-litre Land Rover Tdi with a bigger and more refined turbo. It's all mechanical (no computers, sensors etc.) and has more power and much more torque than the Td5.

Apparantly it's quite a simple conversion to a Defender. I'm not sure it would solve your problems with the intercooler not working in the high temperatures though.

Don't Nissan Patrol's have fan-cooled intercoolers? Maybe the Td5 needs one of them?

The reason why Land Rover needed the Td5 was to meet the daft European emissions controls that need electronic controls to measure out the correct fuel/air ratio. It had more power/torque than the Tdi, and whilst is has been very reliable (in Europe at least) many people throughout the world have said it's too complex to self-service and fix when it does go wrong.

The military-spec Land Rovers still have the old Tdi motor- the Army didn't like the Td5 either.

The rumours are that the Td5 won't be able to meet the next round of Euro Regulations in 2007, and that Ford's choice of replacement is the 2.4 litre 'Puma' 4-cylinder diesel from their Transit van- which at the moment has more power and more torque at lower speeds than the Td5, and I don't think it will be so complex. It will also come with a 6-speed gearbox (the one in the new Discovery).

Jack

#7 ·
There is a similar engine conversion for Defender marketed in South Africa by Cliff Barker of Barker Performance Products that uses, I think, an Iveco engine of 2.8l capacity. This also produces more power and torque than the TD5 and is simpler to look after. I still think the Rover V8 is a better bet!
Cheers,
Robin Brown

#8 · (Edited)
Having driven extensive distances accross roadless desserts in the middle east there is only one vehicle that I will trust my life on. and thats the Defender XD (Wolf)

I've crossed waddies successfully with 20 (12x 2 liter bottle) crates in the back, a full size single water bowser in a trailer, as many crates of water as I could fit around the bowser, full Clansman radio fit and all the kit for me and my passanger (including ammunition and weapons). Now if thats not an over laden Landy then I dont know what is.. but it never let me down. As long as I cleaned my air filter after every trip anywhere I had no power problems.

Go got the 2.8 TGV engine. its the same thing as in the wolf.... only much better..

I would love a V8 in my landrover but I think I'm about to get a TDi simply cos I know it works from personal experience... I wouldnt touch the TD5/6 with a barge pole. as already said.. too complicated. You can hit a Tdi with a hammer until it works again.. thats what I call an engine :buttrock:

#10 ·
Well said XPOWER Racer

Thats what you need, simplicity & the ability to fix. If you want performance then you have brought the wrong vehicle.

The new Ford V6 diesel is main dealer only when it comes to sorting it out. It would only take a single connector or wire to fail and it stops, plus it would not like low cetane diesel or vegtable oil if fuel became really scarce on a trip.

Plus where would you get spares ?

A good old fashioned pump line nozzle diesel is what is needed, be it landrover or Isuzu like the aussie military use.

all the best Roy

#12 ·
jozg44 said:
If you want more power without the complexity, you could try the TGV 2.8 engine from International in Brazil.

It's a modern, bigger version of the 2.5-litre Land Rover Tdi with a bigger and more refined turbo. It's all mechanical (no computers, sensors etc.) and has more power and much more torque than the Td5.

Apparantly it's quite a simple conversion to a Defender. I'm not sure it would solve your problems with the intercooler not working in the high temperatures though.

Don't Nissan Patrol's have fan-cooled intercoolers? Maybe the Td5 needs one of them?

The reason why Land Rover needed the Td5 was to meet the daft European emissions controls that need electronic controls to measure out the correct fuel/air ratio. It had more power/torque than the Tdi, and whilst is has been very reliable (in Europe at least) many people throughout the world have said it's too complex to self-service and fix when it does go wrong.

The military-spec Land Rovers still have the old Tdi motor- the Army didn't like the Td5 either.

The rumours are that the Td5 won't be able to meet the next round of Euro Regulations in 2007, and that Ford's choice of replacement is the 2.4 litre 'Puma' 4-cylinder diesel from their Transit van- which at the moment has more power and more torque at lower speeds than the Td5, and I don't think it will be so complex. It will also come with a 6-speed gearbox (the one in the new Discovery).

Jack

I know that brazilian engine, it's fitted in brazilian and argentinian made Chevy S-10 and Ford Ranger trucks, which are very common here in Costa Rica. It has more torque and hp than any other 4 cyl. Diesel on the market, which is ruled by mostly asian and euro imports.
The only chalenges that I could found (in numbers) was Toyota D4D engine in newest Hilux and Prado, and 3.0 Nissan.

#13 ·
TGV/Powerstroke Pro's/Cons

The International built TGV/Powerstroke engine based on the 300TDI engine is an excellent engine without all the electronics that the TD5 and the Toyota D4D engines's have....And this engine powered a modified landy to win the amateur class in the Paris-Dakar ralley....so good one....BUT...the big issue for us who live in Africa and want to use a Landy to go overland and not a 'Cruiser, on how on earth on will get spares if the engine does go belly up!!...Still think that Landy does not have enough power, but a more powerful engine doesnt help as the R380 gearbox and halfshafts cant take the strain ..... Ugghhhh!!!!!!!!!!:buttrock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.