Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed in my 99 Discovery I SD that if I've been driving for more than 30 minutes with the A/C on the temp gauge jumps from about 1/4 to 3/4, and I've also noticed a slight burning odor coming from under the hood. I'm just trying to figure out what that could mean, and how to fix it. I'm not very mechanical when it comes to cars, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Banned
73 Posts
In my case it seems to be a viscous fan coupling/fan clutch that is worn out.

Two choices on that
- replace the coupling/clutch (US$200 part)​
- change over to electric fans (US$250 - $350​

· Registered
37 Posts
Andrew,
Does this only occur with the AC on or all the time?
Could it also be the thermostat that's failed? Though seems to me that if it was, you'd heat up faster than 30 min... just throwing some other ideas out there...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This only happens when the A/C is on. Also, I've noticed there is a substantial jolt when shifting gears...P to R, R to D, D to R, D to P. Is this something that I need to get checked out, or is it okay? I've been driving manual transmission for so long that this is completely beyond me. Most of this is beyond me anyways...I'm not very good with the mechanics of cars. I've also read that minor oil leaks are common on these cars, but can they be fixed easily? I want my parents to let me park in the driveway before it starts raining!! Thanks a lot

· Registered
72 Posts
Hi Andrew,
The Discovery has a very good cooling system so there is obviously something wrong. My guess is that the radiator is blocked and needs cleaning out,if it was the thermostat it would happen when your air con was off. The car is comming on 6 years old and if the previous owner didn't use corrosion inhibitor in the coolant the problems of a blocked radiator would be starting to happen. Cleaning the radiator out is not a huge job ,take it to a reputable radiator repair shop and get them to take off the top tank and rod out each of the cores(cost about$40US in Australia) then re-solder the top tank back on. Then get them to reverse flush the motor cooling sytem make sure you you a good coolant/inhibitor when you refill the system. :drink1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.