Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NEW PROBLEM (noisy)

HI CAN ANYONE HELP I HAVE A FREELANDER 1.8 98S JUST BOUGHT IT ITS GOT 100,000 ON CLOCK THE CAR DRIVES BRILLIANT BUT IT SEEMS NOISY WHEN DRIVING IT MAKES A DRUMMING NOISE JUST LIKE A WHEEL BEARING >FIXED TEMP SENDER CHEER GUYS

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
From what I have heard of Freelanders overheating, I'd immediately set about protecting the engine.
1. The exhaust manifold is too close to the radiator. I can't imagine the amount of radiant heat this must put out when your stopped at the lights or in traffic. Have the pipes ceramic coated. This is not that expensive and will cut 50% of the heat out of your engine bay.
2. Try and have extra cores fitted to the radiator. I have not heard of this being done as yet (on Freelanders), nor what it would cost, but it would be miles cheaper than constantly changing out 'cooked' motors.
3. Overheating is usually caused by lose of water and needs to be watched carefully. Find a Land Rover wrecker in your area or order one from your LR Dealer and get a 'low water lever sensor' (I think it will fit just nicely) out of an early model Range Rover and have it fitted to your Radiator expansion bottle. Wire up the two terminals to a piezo buzzer, so that it warns you when the water level starts getting low. Don't rely on the temp gauge.
Hope this helps. Lets know how you make out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As I understand it, the engine ECU actually operates the temp gauge. Since the fan is not coming on when you think it should, there is a possiblity that the temp sensor has failed causing both symptoms.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the RAVE CD for the UK/European models so I don't have any more info.

Brian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.