Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 Classic SWB. At temps below 50-55F I can't use my key to lock the rig from the driver's side. It'll lock and immediately, and I mean instantly, pop back back open. If I go around to the passenger side I can lock it no problem. It'll do the same thing once in a great while. Any Ideas?

·
very disco
1,312 Posts
I can’t say with any certainty, but the electrical grease that LR used back in the day tends to dry out and harden some in colder conditions. Similar to the wiper switches on my D2, when it’s cold they won’t engage, but as soon as the cabin warms up they start working.

there could be goop in the micro switch preventing it from engaging in cold conditions

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t say with any certainty, but the electrical grease that LR used back in the day tends to dry out and harden some in colder conditions. Similar to the wiper switches on my D2, when it’s cold they won’t engage, but as soon as the cabin warms up they start working.

there could be goop in the micro switch preventing it from engaging in cold conditions
Thanks! That's a place to start.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The classic switch fits in a grove in the shroud/cover....see if it popped out ...
maybe a small bit of lubrication might help...

·
very disco
1,312 Posts
make sure you use a low temp lubricant, most common electrical component lubricants are hi-temp and tend to gum up in the low temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts