Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always been the guy that buys the cheap tent never more than $50. I'm camping more and more now though and I'm leaning towards getting a good quality tent.

I really like the Kodiak tents but the weight is a killer, the thought of lugging around a 100 lbs of tent just sounds like a pain in the arse. So I'm leaning towards a higher quality 3 season type tent.

So what are you guys using what do you like about your set up and what do you want to change about it?

Going to check out a couple of reasonably priced used ones over the next few days by northface and REI (kingdom 6). So would really like opinions on those to brands as well.

I kicked around the roof top tent idea but don't want to chop up my rack or have to close up shop whenever I want to drive the LR3.

·
G4 Mike
101 Posts
good tents

I have a Kelty and MSR tents for back packing. Both are light weight and sturdy. The Keltys come in a good selection and a decent cost. MSR are a little more high tech and more expensive. Also have experience with Marmot tents and they are on par with Kelty. All these tents I had experience with in Boy Scouts.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a look at the Kodiak, REI and one of the outfitters tents at Cabela's today.

I really liked the Kodiak I like the set up and the quality feel of everything. I did not like the 100 lbs weight of it. The tent though was amazing and really a lot of tent for the money.(used)

The Cabela's tent was really nice as well but didn't feel as well made and seemed a bit lacking for the price.

The REI I looked at was a used one as well, but for a 3 season tent it had a great quality feel. I really liked some of the built in features with storage and the vestibule cover built into the rain fly for the one end of the tent.

For me it came down to the Kodiak and the REI for me. After some debate and my daughter and I weighing the pro/cons of them we decided on the REI. For $100 for the tent that looked brand new with the REI ground cloth included it was a no brainer and it's sitting in the LR3.

Pictures to follow tomorrow when we set it up in the back yard. Stock photo attached

Attachments

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
I do not like dome tents. Tired of the time and effort to put them up and pack them up. Tired of having to lie down while trying to change clothes.

So after many years of camping I bought what we refer to as a Touring Tent. 4 tent pegs and one pole and its up. It literally takes less than a minute. The same amount of time to pull it down.
Can stand up in it to change clothes. Can sit in a chair inside when it is wet.

This is the type of tent https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OZTRAIL-TOURER-9-CANVAS-4-PERSON-TOURING-TENT/172493681717?epid=1380214671&hash=item28296cb435:g:0SIAAOSwnbZYEnGE however, mine is a better quality.

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took about 15 min to set up I'm sure I'll get better at it....

So the REI Kingdom 6 comes in a nice pack with a sleeve in the middle to hold the poles, one side pouch for the main tent, another side pouch for the rain fly and footprint ground mat and finally to exterior pockets to hold the stakes and guy lines. Very nice neat little package that has plenty of room for everything without a huge fight to get it stowed. Another nice feature is the top carry handle and the 2 back pack straps.

I laid out the ground cover and then the main tent on top of it. It has a very nice set of heavy aluminium poles, that are shock corded with heavy billet aluminium hubs that joins it all together.Super easy to see where everything goes and line it all up.

Takes a bit of practice I think to get it up quickly and smoothly. Make sure to connect all the top hooks to the poles before you raise it. This thing is tall and it would be very difficult to do it after the fact.

The rain fly goes on easily and connects up nice and neat. I like that it has a vestibule off the one end to provide a shaded out of sight storage area for you gear or cooler. No floor in this area though. This one did not come with the optional tech garage but I think I will likely spend the money to add it for a nice area to sit in shade and store your gear out of the weather.

Inside it is extremely spacious and has a divider wall, for added privacy. I like all the built in pockets on the divider wall to store little items and small storage pockets above each door. The center is very high and I can easily stand up and walk around inside it. Plenty of space for the cots and whatever else you might need.

I know it was sold to me as a used tent but I found the packing papers still in the rain fly and tent roll. I can find no evidence of it being used ever. Either way I think it is a great tent that will last us for years.

Will be using it for the first time next weekend at Rovers on the Rocks. So mid 30's for temps wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,155 Posts
I'm a little late on this one��
Over the last 15 years I have been involved with Boy Scouts. We have tried a number of name brand tents and shelters.
Keep in mind these are for kids /teens who are of course more suited to crawling about on their knees than some of us older guys
but
that being said, they can sometimes be harder on equipment than average use. Our tents get used in all 4 seasons including at least 1 Canadian winter camp per year.
We have found Eureka to be a very durable line of tents with a wide range of choices from 2 man to bunkhouse (10 man) stitching, zippers, ease of use, replacement parts and simple maintenance have made them our go to choice.

You will likely get some chilly nights if this is for Rovers on the Rocks , Pensylvania in November ��

·
Rover-Holic and Admin
7,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is likely the coldest weather I will see, next event I go to is in Feb in Maine but that is a hotel lol.

I'm about to start a thread on sleeping bags next :D

I normally use the Army sleep system bags but I find the mummy bags less comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts