Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
Never heard of the movie.....but with words like that I already hate it!!!! LOL :D

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
makes you think that they should have done more inside research on what it is to own a series vehicle.....with all the hell I hear about maintaining them you wouldnt own one without at least knowing that its a rover....and the rivalry with jeep....

...jeez.. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
That movie is about 25 years old now, so that's why you never heard of it. It was a pretty good adventure fllick, not a romance, girlie girl movie.

And Keptin, where did you get the idea Series trucks were high maintainance? Having had at least a sixpack of them, I'd have to say they don't get much easier. They may not be very cushy, but it's lack of any amenities is partly why they haven't got all the usual stuff that breaks, or leaves you stranded. Anyone with half an ounce of initiative took care of tempermental Soex carbs and lame distributors. Ask Jeffrey Aronson about series reliability
Taking a V8EFI on any serious and extended offroad trek requires the sort of spares you need to take along the kind of kit my wife thinks necessary for a weekend away from home. In my first 2A, I usually carried a spare set of points, a couple plugs, and maybe a bottle of RainX. You set the points with a matchbook which was more than adequate till you got back home.
While most LRO members don't know what life was like pre colo(u)r TV, If someone said O2 sensor,Ignition Amplifier,Fuel Temp sender, EAS, ECU, TPS, MAF, VSS BECM back then, you would be pretty sure they worked for the CIA, or whatever they called NASA before NASA. When the truck did die, you wouldn't have to get it hauled to the dealer to get hooked up to their computer. The only computers around were at places like MIT and consumed enough electricity to light a lsmall city (if everyone had their B&W TV on).
I got my first 2A a couple years before my fist color TV (a SONY that required I get up and go to it, and rotate a knob to select one of the other 12 VHFstations) In addition to all the Land Rovers I have, and still do have, There are a couple 1st generation Jeeps out there in the barn, so trust me when I tell you, I've been sufficiently exposed to them to know neither was any more reliable than the other.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's not a J....

I have the worst problem ever. My registration papers for my series IIa states make of vehicle : Rover Type of vehicle J.... :mad: Ahhhh!!!!! I can't bear to look at the registration papers and the licence disc on the windscreen. If only I could find the clerk who classified it like that. :complain:

I mean do these looks like J**ps :shifty:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Romancing the stone was a good movie for 1985. Sometimes, the term jeep is used rather loosley meaning off road type vehicle. Don't be too disturbed by it.

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
I've had my 109 referred to as everything from a Jeep to a Land Cruiser to a Hummer...............and then the wife's D1 was called a Jeep by a police officer on the report when someone hit us (what a pain to try and explain that to the other guy's insurance - no really, the officer got it wrong, it's a Land Rover).

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
acornhoek said:
I've had my 109 referred to as everything from a Jeep to a Land Cruiser to a Hummer...............and then the wife's D1 was called a Jeep by a police officer on the report when someone hit us (what a pain to try and explain that to the other guy's insurance - no really, the officer got it wrong, it's a Land Rover).

I see you have a classic CO tag..Where in CO are you?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let's not forget that the original Series One was based on the Willys GP (i.e. Jeep)- even had the same wheelbase. Land Rover was designed to be a British GP, general purpose vehicle, aka jeep. :drink1:

I think it's all in the capitalizing. jeep is a word to describe any 4wd vehicle; Jeep is a trademarked brand.

Not to split hairs. I've just wheeled with some Jeep guys that were upstanding members of society, despite their taste in vehicles. And I've met a few LR drivers that were asses, despite their taste in vehicle as well. :moon:

I do love that Autozone still looks up "Discovery" under Toyota Land Cruiser near me; refreshing to confound those in the business... :wave:

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
I see you have a classic CO tag..Where in CO are you?
Well, now doesn't that depend on whether it's the weekend or not.:D Here's home for a Saturday/ Sunday........Georgia Pass.........but alas, I get away from all of that during the week in Longmont.

·
Getting the mud off.....
961 Posts
OMG....that's hilarious! My brother down in FL said the same thing.

Yes, the red one is a Dormobile and the white one (limestone) is a Carawagon. When we camp together, starting the fire takes longer than pulling the parking brakes & popping the tops....

Here's another LR ad for available campers that year.......

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
Romancing the Stone was a great movie! Too bad about M. Douglas calling his LR a jeep but I think the other people that posted were right about it just being a generalized name for an off road capable vehicle. Also being the year that it came out most Americans probably wouldn't have known what a LR was since the brand didn't come back to the states until 87, and even then it was called Range Rover North America.

By the way I didn't have a color tv until about 1988, just a 15inch black and white tv with rabbit ears for my viewing pleasure. That was the only tv in the house and no cable, no computers or video games...............how did everyone survive back then! Oh yeah, it was called reading books, getting outside of the house and doing something that required exercise, and having an imagination, something most kids lack thesedays!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Almost as bad.

The movie "Out of Africa" with Kim Bassinger. Has a lot of nice rovers in it, but when she gets it stuck in the mud and walks back home (didn't look that bad) her husband tells her she should have stayed with the "jeep".
You would have thought with all of the technical consultants running around someone would have corrected them.

Greg H

·
Faster than the speed of hound...
48 Posts
I think the movie you're referring to was "I dreamed of Africa".
"Out of Africa" (Glenn Close, Robert Redford) is one of my favorites, but was set in the early 1900's, long before Land Rovers were around.

I have another story - I just recently had to have my Series 3 2dr Hardtop re-registered as a 7-seater (yes, I had to get the compliance plate first), but the clerk didn't know how, so he listed it as a "Station Wagon". So, now my registration says it's a 1981 Land Rover 7-passenger Station Wagon. I guess that's better than what it used to say "...Panel Van". Now, since it's a 7-seater vs. 3-seater, my registration is about $300 per year CHEAPER. The words "Panel Van" made it automatically a Goods Carrying vehicle for commercial use. Now it's a family vehicle!

Weird.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being a Jeep owner and spending a lot of time on a Jeep forum, I know the Jeep guys don't like it either if it makes you feel better. The word jeep in the lower case is considered an American military term for a short wheel base 1/4 ton 4x4. The name was used in the military before it was an actual brand. So technically a Rover would fit in that category. Now, if Land Rover were first, I'm sure everybody would be calling Jeeps Rovers! The upper case Jeep is for the brand.

BTW Acornhoek, I know there's a guy on the Jeeps Unlimited Forum whose in Longmont, I've purchased a few items from him in the past. It's a small world!

·
Registered
47 Posts
:lol:

cdmbrennan said:
Let's not forget that the original Series One was based on the Willys GP (i.e. Jeep)- even had the same wheelbase. Land Rover was designed to be a British GP, general purpose vehicle, aka jeep.

I think it's all in the capitalizing. jeep is a word to describe any 4wd vehicle; Jeep is a trademarked brand.
Damn! Should have used the terms "upper case" and "lower case", I guess :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.