Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Good luck with those units.
The Australian Army have just moved from Land Rovers to those units and the people in the field hate them. They are unreliable and are impossible to fix if anything goes wrong in the field.
But they are a good pimp wagon, which is obviously what buyers of them want rather than a serious off-roader.

·
1,818 Posts
I test drove one about 4 years ago in LA. Slow down on the turns it has lots of body roll compared to the LR3. What I like about it its that its simple and feels like an authentic utilitarian truck, but its not due to its price. Also been told that they are very unreliable and expensive to fix.
Dave

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ye of little faith. These are the truck, they are not trendy, they are established value carriers, comfortable, fast and capable. I've been around them & in them for 15 years off and on.

The V8 does not break, leak, moan or whine, it's not a carrier of H.U.H. disease like the Land Rover product was from inception, it's not prone to warning lights,hiccups or brain farts.

If I buy this truck it will be a beautiful partner to the E-430 Sport in the garage, how nice to have 4 reliable pieces of beautiful German engineered transportation and a Discovery to keep me occupied.

Doug

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
The Benz isn't perfect in either engineering or construction, but of all the manufacturers, they're the closest to it. The Benz 5 liter V-8 is an absolute piece of engineering mastery.

It's an expensive truck and thus expensive to fix when it needs fixing. And it is utilitarian. It was not designed from the ground up for a quiet, comfortable luxo-SUV ride. But it's a real 4WD truck. And it makes the Defender look like a toy. My favorite part is closing the doors. I think Daimler resurrected da Vinci to design their door closing and they went completely balls-out on this one.

And yes, you do see wealthy people driving them. Just as you see them driving Autobiography trucks. They will never drive them on gravel roads, let alone push mud with the front bumper. The reason you see regular people driving Rovers that look like current model year is because of the horrific depreciation. What's an '07 RR worth? Maybe $15K in pristine condition? Comparison to the H1? Only that they are both military-based in origin. Completely different deal aside from that.

Is it a 500 or G55?

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Ye of little faith. These are the truck, they are not trendy, they are established value carriers, comfortable, fast and capable. I've been around them & in them for 15 years off and on.

The V8 does not break, leak, moan or whine, it's not a carrier of H.U.H. disease like the Land Rover product was from inception, it's not prone to warning lights,hiccups or brain farts.

If I buy this truck it will be a beautiful partner to the E-430 Sport in the garage, how nice to have 4 reliable pieces of beautiful German engineered transportation and a Discovery to keep me occupied.

Doug
As I have already said, it is your type of vehicle.

Why have you even posted this in the D2 section of the forum. It should be in the general discussion area or the lounge.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
My favorite part is closing the doors.
That explains a lot. Your reason for recommending a 4WD is because you like closing its doors. Best reason yet for buying a 4WD.

In regards to reliability, you should speak to people who drive them off-road rather than the mall.

You don't even have the real versions of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
reliable pieces of beautiful German engineered transportation
Doug
Mercedes are the only vehicle on the road that scare me. I would certainly not drive or be a passenger in one.

just before Christmas 2015 a colleague of my son-in-law was driving a 6 month old Mercedes Semi. In the opposite direction was coming a 6 week old Mercedes sedan. The car started heading straight for the truck. The truck driver got over as far as he could, but the car still hit him head on. It hit with such force that it took out the truck's steer wheels and it rolled down the bank. It totalled both car and truck and the lady driver of the car ended up in hospital in a critical condition.

The lady driver stated that the car would not let her steer it. Mercedes denied this could happen. However, the truck driver saw the lady desperately trying to turn the steering wheel before the accident. Mercedes later admitted that the computers took over the steering of the car and that caused an accident. These are the things that Mercedes keep quiet.

So if you want a car that will try and kill you, but german engineering.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CT,
Got back, beautiful truck, they had 2 deals on it by the time I got there, they offered to put me in line, I declined, not much chance 2 individuals will not put the deal together. Asking price was nearly $6000 back of book retail, I asked to be called in the event both fell through, likely not getting that call. I'll continue to look, there is always another.......This is the model truck I want.

Doug

P.S. were you a Bear-claw heathen? ha ha ha

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
30 years doing mil contracts. Crossed paths a few times. Actually took some combat handgun classes in Moyock.

That's too bad on the G. You're right, you'll find one. Maybe an AMG.

I'm presently thinning down in anticipation of permanent departure for the south. I'm thinking of trading in several toys for a ridiculous beach buggy we can keep on Amelia, which is one of a very few places you can still drive on the beaches. I need to do it before we go as there will be no shop down there of any substance in which to do a big build. Not sure yet what it's going to be but I'm now thinking about it being based on the H1. Thinking about getting two and building a matching trailer out of the second one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Likewise on the contractors, friends with a few operators that went early on with Eric's party after their enlistments were concluded.

I kinda fucked around getting to Charleston, had an appointment for blood work for an upcoming shoulder surgery. The 1st deal was taken the night before, my experience after years in the business shows late arrivals at the dealership are generally serious buyers, closed many deals after 9 pm. There will be others as you said.

I looked for a Manx and actually found out that he's building them again and then there's Chenowth Framed rails, some buddies have those for the beach back home in Ft Walton. H1 based toy with matching trailer? Like that idea......Are you moving to the island? Sweet place and the auction/eye candy is unbelievable, partied there many times with a girlfriend while @ FSU in the 70's....Good Times!

Doug

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Our oldest is a doc, was on the island for a few years and we bought a small place there. He's now in Tallahassee, but probably relocating to the Delray area where our house is. Daughter is in CHS so Amelia is central... so we will prob get a bigger place there and he will take the house down south. There's enough room for everyone.

The sand on Amelia is deep and soft. I buried my Excursion there last Spring. I've got 36's and lockers at both ends and still had to be pulled out of level sand. The AT/KO's aren't that aggressive and it weighs a TON (several) but still...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I'm thinking that as cheap as the milsurp trucks are getting, I can get a body/frame/driveline and build up a beach cruiser from there. All it needs to have inside is a wheel and seats. I'd put a new Duramax in it and uprated axles out of the new 12K truck. No doors and a canvas canopy top Probably run 40 to 44's with a wide profile. The trailer would be from the firewall back of an H-1, same tires, same top, filled door openings. I'd fill the doors and the tailgate would be a set of steps. Maybe build a roll-out roof into both sides, truck and trailer. Something to take the whole brood, coolers, strollers and so on.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm thinking that as cheap as the milsurp trucks are getting, I can get a body/frame/driveline and build up a beach cruiser from there. All it needs to have inside is a wheel and seats. I'd put a new Duramax in it and uprated axles out of the new 12K truck. No doors and a canvas canopy top Probably run 40 to 44's with a wide profile. The trailer would be from the firewall back of an H-1, same tires, same top, filled door openings. I'd fill the doors and the tailgate would be a set of steps. Maybe build a roll-out roof into both sides, truck and trailer. Something to take the whole brood, coolers, strollers and so on.
I can see it on 44"s, an Island Cruiser on steroids, sweet. It would fit right in on the Island with all the other eclectic machinery! The kiddo's will enjoy that exclusivity.

Doug

1 - 20 of 52 Posts