Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a SE7 that I am planning to purchase. It has 150,000 km on the click. Two things that bothered me was a "clunk" noise coming from the driver's side when I make a left turn and secondly, the vehicle pulls to the right when I step on the brakes hands free on the steering wheel.
Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Welcome to LRO Bamboo.
There was another thread on the same topic. We had a 97' Disco that did the same thing - Our mechanic said it was a loose bolt in the front end. If you look under the passenger side of the front end you will see the bolt that is circled... Check that. It could be the source of your "clunk"

·
4,576 Posts
Ok IB, I dont know if you've seen my "CV Joints???" thread or not but I've got the same symptom as Bamboo and the clunking has gotten worse. I just went outside now and photographed something I noticed the other day. Could this bolt have anything to do with it???...

I checked the same bolt you mentioned and mine looks fine...

·
4,576 Posts
Where are my manners...BAMBOOO!! Sorry dude...Welcome to the Fam man! :wave:

My Disco pulls to the left but it's because I warped my rotors earlier this year while going through a "puddle". I had them cut and I think the right one might have been cut a bit too much, and since the left is thicker, the pads catch it before the right side.

My clunkin noise is terrible. I can't wait to get in there and change everything out.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I will look at my RAVE CD and see what it says. It looks like that may not be your problem. It doesn't appear loose in the photo (no clean parts). The bolt that was loose on mine seemed tight also... You have to really get it tight.

Mine had a terrible sounding CLUNK turning left. It spooked me when I heard it :eek: I checked for anything loose and brought it in the next day.

I don't like steering problems... I had a front wheel fall off a Datsun P/U while I was driving it... After I changed my undies, I realized the shop didn't tighten them don enough... lesson learned :drive:

BTW, JC that is the same bolt in my picture

·
4,576 Posts
Thanks man....I always forget I have the WorkShop Manual...lol..thanks for reminding me. Dang, mine makes the ridiculous clunks when turning left too and sometimes to the right. Geeze It would be SOOO awsome and a Relief if it's that and not the CV! That bolt's function makes total sense now...since the clunking mainly comes when turning left. I cant wait to get under there and find out it needed to be tightened.

:eek: :eek: The wheel came off!! I would have shot a Hole through my underwear!..lol

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Hey Guys, mine still clunks when turning left. It's not a constant clunking or clicking as you'd expect with a CV joint but just one pronounced clunk and then nothing... I still haven't climbed underneath to check that bolt. Anybody know the torque on that sucker? I'll get my wrench this morning and put some pressure to it to see if that's the prob...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The clunk could be caused by worn Panhard rod bushes. This rod goes between the axle and the chassis to stop the axle moving lateraly (side to side) under steering loads.
to check, have someone turn steering from side to side while your lying under vehicle. Look for movement at each end around bushes.
If these are worn it would give you the loud clunk you describe when you are turning left or right.

Hope this is of help
Graeme.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.