Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you so much for DiscoMike's wisdom and support. My Disco starting problem was a bad crank positioning sensor (CPS) which I never thought was bad. The old CPS appeared to be very clean. I fortunately had a new crank sensor and replaced the suspect bad sensor in car. The tough part of removing the old sensor is not just at the sensor but also at the plastic plug end. You have to be very careful not break the male connector at the plug end. Someone form another post suggested that the removal job could be easier if you remove the exhaust pipe on the driver side in order to get your hand and arm to the sensor.
After replacing the bad sensor with a new one, the engine started right up. Prior to replacing the sensor, I did measure ohm readings and compared readings of the old crank position sensor and that of the new crank position sensor. There was a difference in ohm measurement between the two sensors. The reading between the two end pins of the plug of the new CPS was measured at 0.9 K ohm. The reading of the old bad CPS was open - no reading. Since there was an obvious difference in the ohm resistance reading, I decided to replace the old CPS with the new CPS which I bought and kept it on the shelf for 5 years despite the fact that the old sensor appeared to be relatively very clean. I enclosed a couple of pictures of the old sensor to show how clean it looked and a picture of the sensor plug showing the three pins. The ohm resistance reading was taken between the two pins on the right side of the plug, if one was facing the plug. Notice the plug is positioned with the catch notch on the bottom. Hope this helps to those who may have similar problems. Thanks for your help again DiscoMIke. HArry

For photos ,go to the following link,
http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/my-2002-disco-wont-run-please-help-77498/

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
Good ol mike sure knows his stuff. I had a intermittent no start and occasional stall while driving.i was a little skeptical but on mike advice replace my crank sensor. I have been a g.m. Guy for years and was thinking ignition module. Anyway replaced the crank sensor ( yes it is a chore to get to the connector) no problem since and it has been over a month

Thanks mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts