·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Another temptation.

Just what we all need. The dealer was telling me that the Stormer will be the replacement for the soon-to-be phased out Freelander. The Sport and the Stormer may be competitively priced but surely, they will be much more than the Freelander. A common theme in the article in the most recent Land Rover Enthusiast had the Hodders, Newman, and Taylor in agreement that Land Rover has gone too far to the left in the technology department. The frighteningly complex cockpits of the RR and Disco 3 may be the wave of the future, but it's a wave that reeks of Asian and German luxury SUVs. This penchant for using technology simply because it's out there seems very distant to the core reason I have always enjoyed (love/hate) Land Rovers. Perhaps if I live long and age well, I may better appreciate the comfort and convenience of the new generation vehicles, but unless I have some nearly dead rich uncle I am, as yet, unaware of, I doubt I'll ever afford one.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yeah, oof. So this doodad is priced between the LR3 and the Rangie, meaning, somewhere in the $60k range. I'm glad someone can afford this type of depreciation mobile...I agree with TerryS, I sure can't.

That's why I drive a series truck.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just want a new freaking Defender in the US

With all of that development for this car, is it really to much to ask for them to stick an airbag into the Defender so we can get them on this side of the pond?

Actually, the car looks great. Land Rover mechanics should be in business for an extremely long time. I wonder how hard it will be to rip out the air springs and the other "driver's aids"?

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
kesslergk said:
With all of that development for this car, is it really to much to ask for them to stick an airbag into the Defender so we can get them on this side of the pond?
Most any design engineer will tell you it's way easier to design a whole new whatever, than to retrofit an old one with something new. Most any true Land Rover enthusiast will tell you " I don't design them, I drive them so I don't know what I can't do, so just get on with it DAMMIT !"

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know retrofitting is tough, but

it is just an airbag on a steering wheel with a couple of sensors in the front. Can't they just steal it from some other version of rover?

I know it is not this easy, just venting. Still, if they really wanted to, I am sure they could.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I wish it were so.

Unfortunately, it is more than just the driver's airbag. Today it has to be both sides. Then theres the dashboard, not padded and then comes the impact absorbing front bumbers with their rlittle shock absorbers. Next comes the side impact beams in the doors.
Still you're right. Any opf that kit could be installed without alot of modification, except for possibly the dashboard. That changed, doing away with the parcel shelf and all would kinda piss me off. Except for the horrible dash they put in the NAS 110s, the Defender dash was pretty much the same as series 3. That took me some getting used to over the old 2A and I think I'm getting to old to "get used to" another rendition. Guess I better make mine last.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem I have is with the detailed requirements instead of the overall goal

If the overall goal is safety, mandate a particular overall vehicle safety result. The Defender is a steel box. In a head-on collission between it and a brand new Honda Civic, I would take the Defender. Strong, lots of crush space, and it doesn't go too fast (usually).

Mandating a six point seat belt and a racing helmet in cars at all times would also improve safety. It is all a matter of degree. I am simply not happy about losing a great car because of where the US government chooses to draw an arbitrary safety line.

Oh, and by the way, sorry for hijacking the thread. We can move this to another if appropriate.

Gordon

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
I think the current trend of "car based" SUVs will end in a few years. I would like to see a new term for Off-road vehicles like ours or the new car-SUVs. SUV has been highjacked by the new minivans and it's time for another term.

Mall-terrain Vehicle (MtV) is one I like but I think it carries a negative connotation. And is probably copyrighted.

What should we call our segment?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want one. Anybody heard how much they'll cost? Release date in the US?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts