Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can any justify driving one of these things. I dropped my 98' Disco at the dealer for it's monthly fixed what is broken this time visit. There was a clicking coming from the right side swivel on the front wheel. Well after disassembling the wheel and looking inside the local LR dealer called back with an estimate of $1160 to replace the inner axle and reassemble with new seals and gaskets. Oh, did I tell you it only has 76,000 miles and has never been off road, my wife drives it around town. I have a 11 year Honda with 237,000 miles on it and have spent a fraction of the time, money, or effort on this vehicle than on the LR. Worst purchase I have ever made. How can any one have the nerve to call this the best 4x4xfar, if you can't get very far in it. I guess reliability and quality are a few things this manufaturer forgot to think about when designing and building this truck. What nerve to charge the prices they do for these vehicles. Like Barnum said "there is a sucker born every second" Thanks for listening to my rant. Anybody looking to buy a '98 Disco LSE with low miles looks great clean and straight.

· Registered
294 Posts
totallymann said:
How can any justify driving one of these things. I dropped my 98' Disco at the dealer for it's monthly fixed what is broken this time visit. There was a clicking coming from the right side swivel on the front wheel. Well after disassembling the wheel and looking inside the local LR dealer called back with an estimate of $1160 to replace the inner axle and reassemble with new seals and gaskets. Oh, did I tell you it only has 76,000 miles and has never been off road, my wife drives it around town. I have a 11 year Honda with 237,000 miles on it and have spent a fraction of the time, money, or effort on this vehicle than on the LR. Worst purchase I have ever made. How can any one have the nerve to call this the best 4x4xfar, if you can't get very far in it. I guess reliability and quality are a few things this manufaturer forgot to think about when designing and building this truck. What nerve to charge the prices they do for these vehicles. Like Barnum said "there is a sucker born every second" Thanks for listening to my rant. Anybody looking to buy a '98 Disco LSE with low miles looks great clean and straight.
92 RR RUNS GREAT 183,000 MILES, ONLY MAJOR SERVICE HEAD JOB, 80,000 AGO, OFF-ROAD THE HECK OUT OF IT ALMOST EVERY SUNDAY IN THE HILLS OF FREDRICKSBURG, VA. SORRY TO HEAR YOU ARE HAVING A HARD TIME WITH YOUR LAND ROVER, THEY ARE DEFF NOT HONDAS! GOOD LUCK! BEST4X4XFAR NOT REQUIRED FOR GROCERY GETTING!

· Registered
50 Posts
I have 98K on my 98LSE and so far so good (knock on wood). I would get someone else to look at it. They don't call it the "Stealership" for nothing. Did they tell you exactly what was wrong? :eek:

· Registered
317 Posts
totallymann,
Yeah, it sounds like the CV went south...I'd shop around to get another price as that's more than twice as much as I pay to have both axles done...hmm, but that is on a Honda product...Still shop around, I'm sure you can do better.

As far as Hondas, I know what you mean. I have a 1996 Civic with 126k on the clock that is my daily driver. I spent $180 to keep it on the road last year as far as maintenance is concerned. I also get 40mpg. That's why the rover is the weekend fun toy and drywall hauler.

Bogatyr

· Registered
294 Posts
I DONT MEAN TO SOUND LIKE I M BASHING YOU, I M JUST SOO TIRED OF HEARING THESE THINGS ARE JUNK :bawling: , I HATE MY TRUCK :bawling: , WHAT A PIECE OF JUNK :bawling: THE NERVE TO SAY BEST4X4XFAR :dunno: , THEY ARE GREAT TRUCKS OR WE WOULNDT HAVE THIS FORUM. LIKE I SAID I DIDNT MEAN TO COME ACROSS AS BASHING YOU, ITS ALL IN HOW YOU TAKE CARE OF THEM, I M SURE YOU LL SAY YOU TOOK GREAT CARE OF YOUR VEHICLE, I HEAR IT ALL THE TIME BUT WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE MOST PEOPLE DONT TAKE CARE OF THERE VEHICLES! YOU SHOULD DEFF TAKE IT TO ANOTHER SHOP AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY? ATLAEST YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT IT IS.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I was expecting most of the return replys. All sevices have been performed on the truck. Basically because I'm in the service industry myself(material handling equipment) I run a dealership and tell our customers everyday how IMPORTANT regular scheduled and preventive maintenance is to keep there fleets up and running without downtime. Does downtime happen? YES! But I guess when you do what your suppose to and still have a lemon it can make you sour. Second opinion yes. Will own another LR probably so. Will keep this one, only my check book can tell.

· Registered
490 Posts
The only reason the sealed swivel balls with the CV's in side them fail is due to no lube...It is the responsibility of the owner to check and make sure fluid is correct; if it leaks then use the Land Rover grease ($20 for both sides) to cure the problem permanently. This design is hailed as exceptional the world over in terms of durability, reliability, and off-road endurance. I will add that my '92 Range Rover with the same setup has 190,000 miles on it and the CV's are original.

I will also say that yes, you are somewhat justified in your remarks about the excessive costs of Land Rovers. For the purchase price, you seem to get second-rate fit and finish in some cases, overall poor engine performance, (on the road anyway) and the need for many repairs resulting in high $$$. But they are THE BEST 4X4XFAR. On my second Range Rover ('95 4.0SE w/145k miles) and so far it has cost me a lot. But it is still a great rig. We have had Volvo's (240's) that have gone to 350,000+ miles and still run great that we picked up for $1,000 to start and all you do is change the oil. There is just something about a Land Rover.

· Super Moderator
743 Posts
Totallymann,

I hear you on the reliability aspect of these vehicles. It's amazing they have a following at all. Mine is back in the shop today for the 45K service and what started out as a short list, greatly grew into a very long and complex list of "must fix while under regular warranty" issues. Looks like they are going to have it for awhile, at least next week is what they say.. wonderful as I am stuck driving a friggen Dodge Stratus as a loaner.. what a POS. CV's are a common issue, especially given the age of your vehicle and the assumption that your wife uses it for city driving based on the low mileage. Gotta check those boots! (I know, easier said than done). In all honest, I haven't had an issue that would have left me stranded or immobile, just a metric ton of stupid little things that are very annoying and in all honesty, not up to par in a vehicle within this price point.

LLR219,

THE BUTTON ON THE LEFT OF YOUR KEYBOARD THIRD UP FROM THE BOTTOM IS THE CAPS LOCK...PUSH IT ONCE AND.. Your text won't be nearly as offensive to read, even if the content lacks originality. ;)

· Registered
909 Posts
I have owned 4 Hondas, 1 Mercedes 300d,(which I still have) :D , 1 Nissan Pathfinder, and Finally my Discovery. All of them Used Vehicles. Out of all of them the least repaired vehicle was the Pathfinder(I would have had to replace the entire exhaust sytem, manifold on back). I bought it with 25,000 miles on it, and it was a lease vehicle, I traded at 85,000 for My Disco that had 67,000 miles. I firmly believe it is all to do with proper preventitive maintenance! My hondas were constantly needing cv-joint work, brake work, and a/c work. Besides that they were wonderfull. Easy to rebuild, and generaly reliable, they never left me stranded. But my last honda, I just about completely rebulit, but I would have never had to do that if it had been properly maintained when I got it. The land rover has much more rugged and heavier built parts than the honda's, and they have much more moving parts than any honda. I have only spent about $1500.00 on my Rover so far. But I do almost all the work myself, the money was spent on just parts. So in comparison, It really depends on how you drive it, what you do with it, and most importantly how it is maintained.
**WARNING I AM GOING OFFF*** :eek: If it has oil,CHECK-IT!!!, IF IT NEEDS TO BE GREASED, GREASE IT!!!!!, IF FLUID NEEDS TO BE CHANGED, CHANGE IT!!!! Quit complaining about something you bought. If you have not had it checked out BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT, then it is your own fault!!!! If you didn't, look in the mirror and blame that person! I love my Rover, even though she needs TLC, BUT, I knew she was not properly maintained, and that I would end up spending money on her. Since I love a challenge, I don't complain....MUCH! :lol:
SORRY FOR THE EXPLOSION!!! JUST NEEDED TO GET THAT OFF MY CHEST!

· Registered
909 Posts
If it was certified, then they should cover the costs of repairs! Maybe they should have listed the vehicle as certified, except checking the fluid in the swivel balls, and except checking the transmission oil, and except, checking all vital parts!! :dunno:
I would demand that they pay for it, or at least some of it, if they resist, then go up the ladder!! Good luck!

· Registered
115 Posts
Doesn't Honda make a version of the Disco, called the Crossroad ( http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/Merismus/NewOverview/v11807a.jpg )? Its funny the car make you talk about makes version of the car you are having problems with, hmmmmmmmnnnnnnn why not buy a Honda Crossroad and swap the badges? lol, I know that would make it a knock off, but hey atleast you get the realiablity (I HOPE) from the car make your talkin about. lol, I think its funny looking at that crossroads picture........

· Registered
138 Posts
Land Rovers relationship with Honda was a short-lived, aside from the fact that, correct me if I am wrong, it was only available with the four cylinder MPI engine. And of course, not available to the U.S. That said, try saving yourself some $$$ and FIX IT YOURSELF! My Discovery has not seen the "stealership" since I bought it, and has never failed to get me home! And as far as prices, you could spend alot more on ford, or for that matter GEO parts! I find the Rover to be a reasonably-priced vehicle, and it will probably cost me LESS over the longer life span of the vehicle. My "Rant" is complete, thank you. LRW

· Registered
12 Posts
Friday Afternoon Land Rover

There's always one built on a Friday when they just want to get home. I have a 97 Disco, and so far I have taken it to Iceland, All over Europe, the USA and now finally settled in Tasmania, so it's seen some action. It has had full service history which I ALWAYS check. So far she has had 1 x swivel pin seal a battery, a cam pulley upgrade and two window regulators (see other thread). Not bad really to say the abuse it gets. It runs, nay purs like a Rolls Royce. I have climbed mountains, driven over glaciers and along 90 mile beaches. I guess if I had used it to get the weekly shopping and the school run, it would probably be screwed by now. I would question your dealer, just because it says Land Rover authorised does not mean they are honest. I always shop around. I is imperative that I have someone I trust. My girlfriend does use it for the school run now, but only because I have ordered a new EXtreme 110 to play with. Meanwhile I lumber around in my 1974 Series 3 awaiting it's arival. Some things are built to last.....
P.S. I'd get the parts from the UK and fit it your self, probaby do it for a couple of hundred bucks.

· LRO Founder
1,888 Posts
RickyRover said:
Doesn't Honda make a version of the Disco, called the Crossroad ( http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/Merismus/NewOverview/v11807a.jpg )? Its funny the car make you talk about makes version of the car you are having problems with, hmmmmmmmnnnnnnn why not buy a Honda Crossroad and swap the badges? lol, I know that would make it a knock off, but hey atleast you get the realiablity (I HOPE) from the car make your talkin about. lol, I think its funny looking at that crossroads picture........
What the??? I had NO idea there was such a thing.... weird...

Serg

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.