Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided I want my next project to be really big. I got to looking at my 88" the other day and I decided I want to do an all out, custom 109 project. My 6 hour commutes every weekend have left me with all kinds of ideas for the ultimate 109. The basics will be a Military 109 with a galvanised, strengthened frame, parabolic suspension and a diesel system that will be converted to run used cooking oil. All the designs are in my brain right now I just need to start buying parts to assemble it. I figured since I am going to be putting so much effort into this truck, I may as well make it into something I can kep forever than I wouldnt hesitate to jump in and drive across the country. My question is, what other kinds of things would everyone want to have in a truck like I've just described? So far the list I've come up with is substantial, but theres always room for inprovement. Here's part of what I've come up with so far.

Full length roof rack
raised parcel tray in cieling
flat floorsing in back with lockable storage inside and out
bulletproof drivetrain
long range fuel capacity
fold out bed
internal roll cage

Right now its just an idea in my brain, but any help in how to go about building it would be awesome
Thanks

·
Registered
734 Posts
These are sweet if they make one to fit the rear of a series truck, give you lockable storage and a flat surface for sleeping.
Storage

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Galvinised Bulk head (Dipped galvinised so that the inside of the bulkhead is also galvinised.)

How about Diff locks fore and aft?
How about a Fairly overdrive (5th gear)?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Take the roof rack off your list. Go for the roll-out drawer. Put in a rear fuel tank like a LWB SW has, and have a spare under the right hand seat (2 or 3 door right?) Add an air compressor. Add floor vents to keep the feet cool (find a tropical top and steal the roof vents, mount them in the door or foot well facing forward). Add an extra heater to keep the rest of you cosy in the winter. Make sure you have a Tropical Roof with vents (wonderful if you don't know already). Make sure you are going to have a PTO winch. Put wheel spacers on it or have a wider off-set wheel than standard (No. Newer LWB wheels still don't have enough off-set.) Install a GPS infront of you that is big enough to read. Flat Beam Halogen headlights (Bosch, Hella, Cibie etc.) powered through a solinoid mounted at the "Breakfast". Have a method of installing a side or rear canopy for when you are parked.

That sould be enough for now. Good luck scrounging all the parts.

Greg S

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The project has taken a new twist, I found several Ex MOD 109 Ambulances in the UK and I think I'm going to import one of them. There seems to be a huge following for turning these into campers and the few that I have seen are awesome. Loads of space, not much bigger than a standard 109 (wider and longer though) but more functional for my purposes. My rangie might be gone soon too so that means more $ to play with.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do you really want to import one? The shipping cost is more than the vehicle is worth. Why not buy one that is already here and put you money into the conversion?

Send me a PM if you are interested in one already landed here and I'll put you in touch with the owner. I am sure it is for sale. Then you can do all those mods that are suggested.

Greg S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.