Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the board, and planning to be a new discovery owner pretty soon. I just wanted to ask if there were any common problems I should be looking for in a used 01/02? I know to get a full service history, but in terms of common problems is there anything big to focus on? (ie common rust spots, front axels, electricals, etc)

Thanks very much, any help would be much appreciated.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Front drive shaft,,,very common problem, esp. @60k
Expect minor oil leaks, but beware of rear main & head gasket. Tighten bolts on oil pan & valve cover (careful not to over-tighten)
Check for proper functioning of door locks (if they work flawlessly, fly immediately to Vegas)
Check oil (sounds basic but don't take it for granted)
Check to see if seller has all svc & maint. records.
Haven't heard of many problems w/ DII axles.

Check battery terminals for corrosion, brakes, & all the normal used car stuff.

I'm in CO so don't have problems w/ rust, perhaps someone can comment on this.

·
2,986 Posts
As for rust, most common areas in the rear door wells, and also by the seals in the alpine windows.. i also think the trunk door jam as well.. other than that, just get under it and look around

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect. Thanks very much, thats exactly what I was looking for. Two of them are actually at dealers (one LR, one private) so hopefully they've given them a good run through (and are honest about it)... but all of that really helps. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, one thing I just thought of, how can I actually tell what shape the front axel is in? Everything else on the list is no problem, but the axel I wasn't sure about. Maybe the feel while driving? or some kind of physical wear I could look for? Or just high milage = inevitable failure?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not much to offer you by way of what to look for since most of responses pretty much covered them. I do have a couple or so, not that its that important but I do know the rails on my sun roof (forgot which one) had to be replaced under warranty at 48K miles. Then there's the serpentine belt make sure it doesn't have cracks. Finally, make sure the 60K service was actually done (brakes, rotors, all fluids drained and refilled, spark plug wires, etc. anything that had to do w/ the 60K service). Oh and make sure you have plenty or tire tread left 12K or more to go so you don't have to replace them too soon.

BTW, If you are looking fo a disco that you plan to occasionally drive offroad, I found this one on Ebay with 65K with a buy it now of $14K. It has the SD rack and Goodyear MTs. I just thought you might want to check it out. Click Here!

Once again, it may look good but it pays to make a checklist based on all the tips everyone posted in response. ;)

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
xbertmx said:
Actually, one thing I just thought of, how can I actually tell what shape the front axel is in? Everything else on the list is no problem, but the axel I wasn't sure about. Maybe the feel while driving? or some kind of physical wear I could look for? Or just high milage = inevitable failure?

Thanks again.
You seem very concerned about the front axle. Have you had a bad experience w/ this before? With the DII, it's very rare to break an axle, especially a front axle. With open diffs, it's extremely rare to see a broken axle. Even if you are locked up, it's typically a limited slip up front. The only way I could see breaking a DII front axle is with an ARB up front on an incredibly difficult obstacle. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it's extremely rare, even in the realm of hard-core wheelin'.

Assuming you are purchasing this DII stock, I don't think you have anything to worry about. If an axle shaft was busted, you would know pretty quickly from the noise & vibration. In terms of the what shape the front axle is in, again, assuming this vehicle is stock & has not been wheeled hard, it's safe to assume it's in good shape. The DII axle is 24 spline, very strong, and almost impossible to break in a stock, open-diff configuration. :drink1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.