Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Currently driving a '98 Discovery v8i, great machine, but it's getting a bit that way, and I'm sick of paying heaps for fuel, and in a moment of weakness I started looking at a falcon or commodore or something silly like that.

Then I had a fantastic thought! Buy a '98 freelander! Get all the benefits of a smaller car, but still get the 4x4 bit.

What do you think? Worth it? Good cars? What's the off-road performance like?
What about fuel economy? Do the '98's stuff up much?

Cheers guys!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
My wife has an '03 HSE and loves it. Predictions of plummeting values piss me off, but it's been a good, and very reliable little ute. It's a V6 and thirsty but since all the rest of our daily Land Rovers are V8s, it's cheap in comparison. Aside from the usual LR benefits, it brings her into the fold, and doesn't object as much to my son & I spending what we do on them.

· Registered
17 Posts
Hey, :wave:
We've got about 30K miles on a 2002 'Lander SE, and very much enjoy the car. Here in Utah, the 4x4 performance is regularly tested in winter snow. The car performs superbly in that regard. I have done my best to spin it out, on frozen curves, and it just won't do it. If you push it past the limits of adhesion on all four corners, it will simply plow off the road in a straight ahead manner, no spin, no real chance for rollover. It's my wife's car, and it's comforting to know how it behaves when I know she's taking my daughter to school on some frozen morning.

I can't speak to the off-road capabilities, e.g., clearance, articulation, etc. Never done that.

I find the 2.5L V6 to be rather frugal, considering the weight and performance of the rig. Our previous rig was an Isuzu Rodeo, which was somewhat heavier, with substantially more power (3.2L) and a lower axle ratio, but it's typical fuel mileage was around 16 mpg. We routinely get 24 mpg with the 'Lander. The Rodeo was a real hot rod - it would leave rubber anywhere you wanted to push the pedal to the floor. And it had substantially higher towing capacity than the 'Rover, due mostly to the greater weight, heavier springs, and 4-wheel disc brakes. I can't imagine why the 'Lander still has drums on the rear.

But, for us, the 'Lander is a better rig. When we need to pull the boat, we use my GMC truck.

A few peeves:

1) Front brakes - I'm taking it in soon, to have the 3rd set of rotors installed on the front. Some combination of soft iron rotors, harsh pads, and over-torquing of the wheels at the LR dealer has resulted in warping and accelerated wear of both pads and rotors, repeatedly. Thank goodness for warranty.

2) Transmission - This highly touted 5-speed automatic has been trouble free, but it is not calibrated properly. Let's say you go around a curve on a mountain road, going uphill, where you slow down to maybe 15 mph. The tranny downshifts to 3rd gear. You gently press the accelerator, expecting it to downshift to 2nd. Nothing happens. You press harder, nothing happens. You floor it, it downshifts to 1st gear, and away you go like a herd of wild buffalo with the tachometer at 5,000 rpm. Hardly what I expected from this rig. Nevertheless, other than this 3-1 downshift anomaly, it is perfectly fine.

3) Noise - For a car of this level of trim and price, I have been surprised at how much road noise penetrates the cabin. I have read that this has been mitigated with insulation in the later versions.

4) Maintenance costs - I grow weary of paying $90 for every oil change. I cannot find a supplier of oil filters other than the dealer, so a $5 filter costs me $15. Ditto air filters. Just yesterday, I had to take the car to a glass shop to have the windshield replaced. We caught a stone on the freeway a couple of weeks ago, and the star quickly turned into a crack than ran straightaway across in front of the driver. This windshield is the optional electrically heated variety, and the replacement was $1,850. :eek: Thank goodness for comprehensive insurance (it cost me nothing). But I wonder how many of these outrageously expensive component replacements lurk in my future, not covered by insurance or warranty... :confused

· Registered
60 Posts
You folks in Australia have a lot more choices in Freelander configurations than we here in North America do. If I lived where you do I would seriously look at a new(er) 5 door TD4 with a manual transmission. The TD4 seems to be the best mix of fuel economy and power. The petrol KV6 is a thirsty little devil - not as bad as your Disco but bad enough. Except for my '02 Freelander, I've driven manual transmissions for the last 40+ years. I'm still angry LR won't give us a manual tranny here in the US.

If you are really considering a '98 Freelander rather than a new one, you should know there were several issues with the 1.8 petrol engine of that vintage. I'm sure others can fill you in on that one. Also I believe the older diesel is not as good (powerful) as the newer TD4.

I test drove a couple Disco IIs the other day - '03 and '04 and decided to stick with my Freelander, largely for the fuel economy reason. I think the Freelander is more comfortable to drive on road: good cornering, stable with 4-wheel independent suspension and responsive enough, although not a powerhouse. It is reasonable off road but won't climb as well as your Disco as the Freelander doesn't have a 2-speed transfer case. It does, however, have traction control and HDC as well as a 4-wheel ABS. You can put a 1.5 inch spring lift (from Ironman Suspensions in Australia) and some more agressive tyres on it and go through lots of mud, water, snow and sand. With the lift, it even crawls rocks pretty well. It is smaller so if you want to haul lots of people and/or stuff or pull a large caravan, you'll be wanting your Disco back.

Hope this helps. Good luck!! :drink1:

Brian

· Registered
2 Posts
freelander

I've got a Freelander TD4, 2001 model. Does 400 miles to the tank, average speed 80mph. :buttrock:

Think car is good, but fuel pump died early, previous occupant must of sent it to a shite garage, as they put a small tube inside the fuel pump valve, so the problem did not show up on the diagnostic machine. But we found it eventually, and fixed it. Goes like a trooper now. :clap:

· Registered
1,744 Posts
I agree with the TD4 being a great motor. Lots of power and surprisingly very quiet. If I were to purchase a Freelander, this would be my choice.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all!

Thanks a lot for your assistance there everyone. Okay, the story thus far:

Currently attempting to convince the old man that a Freelander is a good idea (cos he hates my Disco and wants me to get away from Land Rover all together). The one and only issue here is repairs. We all know that the bloody things cost a bomb when they break. Aside from the issues you all mentioned, do they break a lot, for silly things? And I haven't heard about the known issues with the petrol motors of that vintage :dunno: are they serious?

So yeah, the old man thinks I should get an X-Trail or a RAV4 or a Ford Escape or one of those weird Honda things... or even a commodore :complain: I would just ignore him, but again, don't really like the idea of my new Freelander spending as much time (AND MONEY!) in the shop as the Disco has (I've had it 12 months and have spent around $3000 just on repairing things that have broken). :bawling:

I'm in love with the freelanders though, and just LOVE the fuel economy they have. I think about it every week when I put $80 of fuel in my tank.

So yeah, the Disco's on eBay to see how it'll go (for those who are interested, eBay number 4533907359, hoping to get to about $9000), and following that I'll be seriously looking for a Freelander.

Thanks for all your assistance, and HERE'S HOPING!!! :drive:

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey again,

Well, the Disco has been sold, and I've decided to go for a 2002 Toyota RAV4.

Maybe I'll revisit Land Rover at some time in the future...

...probably not though.

Cheers guys :wave:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.