Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, this is my first post and hopefully not my last. i've been on the market for a land rover. it seems the only one i can afford at this time is the discovery series. i currently own a bwm 318ti and an isuzu trooper. i went to sell the trooper and jump into a discovery. i found a 94 discovery with 112xxx for $3700. i have yet to test drive her, but was wondering if she is worth to check out. here is a link to the site... http://www.bavarianmotorsport.com/i..._periodicity=12&view=49#calc&action=Calculate
any feedback would be greatly appreicated. i hope to become a contributing member as soon as i get the right discovery!! tia

Fernando

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
The price seems okay.. might talk him down a little...... See if there are any records so you can grasp a little of the history!!! I didn't have any when I bought mine, so it's not crucial...... Just check all of the normal points..fluids, leaks, condition etc...... They are great 4x4's..... if the test drive is satisfactory I'd say get it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
4,576 Posts
Hmmm...? Check them both out, I actually like the First one better. But if the second does prove to be well maitained as the descriptions says it was, go for that one. Just know that with a 149xxx mile vehicle there's much that you'll have to do if it hasnt already been done. You want to look for Vibrations while traveling between 60-70mph. Braking. What electrical things need attention.

I see that the interior in the gold Disco actually isnt that bad for the exception of the sun-cooked dash.

They both look exceptional on the outside. When you see them in person, check for rust around the alpine windows or for cracked weatherstripping. From the pictures, it lood like the Gold one is SWELL on the outside, and the Dirverside of the Green disco.

I see the passengar side rear view mirror is flipped in on the gold Disco, thats the same way I have mine due to a little accident I had where my mirror fell off, so check if thats the case. Even though thats no biggee.

When you go, and if they are in what looks to be their parmanent parking spaces in the lots, check the ground for any fluids that might have been leaked.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Welcome to the world of Rovers, there are alot great guys on this board that will offer up lots of advice and knowledge, among other things.... :drink1:

I was thinking...

01001010 said:
When you go, and if they are in what looks to be their parmanent parking spaces in the lots, check the ground for any fluids that might have been leaked.
Is that abnormal, and if there is beer spilled, run, how well can they take care of a Rover if they spill their beer.......... :dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
While both of them may be a little long in the tooth, '93 ,'94 and '95 Disco were pretty reliable, much more so than 96.

The 3.9 is a fairly good engine as long as it had some attention paid to it along the way. I would be more interested in the transmission and how well it shifts. Drive it cold and see if it shifts out of first smoothly.

Dried out window gaskets are likely, and not to be left unattended. check for moisture under the rear carpets, and rot in the load space floor. Also, open the rear doors and check for rot in the wheel arches.

Dash peeling and headliner drooping are to be expected at this age.

Apart from that, expect to find the usual condition of a 12 year old car.

·
Magicly Delicious
1,030 Posts
those look like pretty good deals to me. for what its worth, i got my '94 with 138k miles 11 months ago for $5000.

·
Registered
4 Posts
make sure you check underbody for rust. dont get one from a dealer, and if you do, make sure they have atleast some of the service records so you can make sure its been maintained. also, dont let them charge you extra for features that come standard to land rovers, but not standard for other makes. thats pretty much it. good luck and welcome to the obsession.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Don't do it!

You will be absorbed into the abyss of Land Rover boards and the endless facination with anything Land Rover. You willl scour the internet for any and all information regarding the history and pedigree of Land Rovers. You will spend endless hours looking for accessories and such. Free time as you know it is gone. I think crack is less addictive.

But it is worth every minute of it when your are off road. Most fun I have had with my pants on!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys have been great!! I'm very glad I posted before jumping into a disco (I'm learning new terms...). I am gonna let those two go. I have a friend (very trustworthy)who I spent the last yr and a half in Iraq with. He owns a dealership. He is taking me to the dealer auto auction and I will get the deal of a lifetime, I hope. I will bid on a '97 disco. He told me that the average has been a '96, '97 with 90,000 miles and have been selling for $4,500. The thing is I wont be able to test drive. But he tells me the auction will not sell anything thats not up to standards. This is the largest auto auction in the east coast, and not open to the public. I will hopefully be going on friday, that is if they have a '97 disco on the auction list. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks alot for the responses...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.