Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im 17(still in highschool) and thinkin about gettin a 5 speed disco i could fix up and what not. my dad has a 95 5 speed but i want one that i can do what i want with. im deciding if i could come up with the money/time to do this.

·
Registered
321 Posts
also budget for parts.. depending on where you live, parts might not be so easy to come by and could be $$$. and as iwish said.. prepare to spend alot of time with it. I've got a 96 5spd which i got new and it's getting to the point where things are starting to fail due to wear and tear
take care
sam

·
Registered
11 Posts
For 9k you can usually come up with a decent truck to start with. A 96 with some miles on it, but in good shape for example. Then, for about a grand, you can add some mild lift springs and larger tires, (buy both used, especially if you dont intend to off road a lot), a snorkel, and a bunch of cool stickers. I would agree that you should leave yourself some cash to pay for repairs, as they will definately need to be made. I have a 96. I like it a lot, but repair it I have. I built a new motor for it last winter, and it looks like I need a new fuel pump now. Anyway, before you get one, ask a lot of questions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Don't let them scare you off.

That 95 on ebay isn't a bad deal. Transfer cases, though eeasily rebuildable, can be had for less than $500, and a '95 is a lot easier to work on than a 96 or newer. He's not kidding, that is an expensive roof rack.
I paid less than $2k for a 96 that needed a transmission, but it certainly wasn't the only good deal out there for a fixer-upper. A disco is a good motor to start rovering, they're far easier to work on and less complicated than a classic, and equally capable. Where are you located?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
virginia. i talked to my dad about it, and unfortunately he says i have enough to do now without a car to work on. hes kinda right since its my junior year so i have to do stuff for college, and he knows what hes talkin about since hes rebuilt two older jags. maybe there'll be a nice deal later on down the road.

·
Registered
321 Posts
sorry to hear that :( I think your dad secretly does not want you to have your own as then you'll be working on yours instead of helping him with his ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
get a 94-96 chevy s10 pickup extra cab 4x4..

you'll have a truck to do the trips to college, off roading, camping, snowboarding, and when it breaks down, you'll have something that won't cost your next semester's tuition in repairs.

your dad is pretty much right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts