Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well yeah I've been seeing lotsa stocks and heavily modified RRC...I own a DII now and been thinking to trade her with RRC....seriously, some guys here have some good looking RRC...it's just classic as the name implies...

ok then lets get down to it...what are the pros and cons if I trade a DII with RRC, from engine prespective to off road capability, the whole nine yards.

I'm looking for a smooth and cool ride which I can enjoy daily and off road occasionally...

oh and also I have a 99 P38 back home so tell me if RRC is better than that

Thanks

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Well... I love my RRC and wouldn't trade it for another rover..... You are going to loose power though.. Not too much, but it will be noticeable.. My parents have a P38 also..That is a great rover, smooth ride, way smoother than mine is..... The P38 also has more towing capacity.... Pros for the switch...they are just plain awsome off-road....They do not have the raised back seats though, so not all passengers enjoy them as much... If I where you I'd go test drive an RRC then do the same route in your..see what you think... If you were closer i'd say try mine to see how you like it.... I really like the way you can easialy see all obstacles and how they seem to just go... I will always have an RRC.....If you want more details or more specific questions answered PM me.. Here is my cardomain site for some pics to look at: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/735661

· Premium Member
2,318 Posts
x2....im totally in love with the SWB RRC's

....I agree, I would go test drive one....but man...those white SWB RRC's are sexy!

Was close to buying this one on ebay about a year ago
....the whole deal was if I wanted to buy another rover for $5k and beat the crap out of it or modify my nice DII; the disco is definatly going all out........it will probably become a bashed up rubicon machine a dozen years from now anyhow.......I have no plans to sell it. It will probably become my biggest money pit.

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funrover, yours is a beast...one hell of a rig.

so the RRC doesnt have any raised back seat then...hmm, I mean the P38 is kinda raised and Discos are well stadium back seats. I kinda forgot how does it feel to sit on the back seats of a P38 since I very rarely sit on back seats.

yes I have no complains about P38's smooth ride,back home I prefered to ride the RR than my XC90...there's something about the feel driving the P38...something like owning the roads and cops never gave me any ticket when I broke some rules on the road...back home the P38s are vehicles for high ranks officer in the military, eventhough my family wasn't one. but the image stick still.

there's just something about that Range Rover on the hood that mesmerizes me...eventhough its a RRC or P38...

and keptin you are right, I always have a weakness with black, seriously I just can't resist black, especially with tan interior...slrrrppppyyyy

but white RRC, damn! sexy!! and also Serg's RRC looks beautiful.I haven't seen her in person but from his avatar, it looks like just came out of showroom.

If I decided to trade for RRC then I'll make her stock, well gotta change the tires with good stuff though but a clean and well maintaned RRC should look fantastic.

oh and one other thing, I pretty much clueless about the history of Range Rover though, so If someone could have a brief explanation about what year came up with what type of RR would be great. Thanks

· Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey Funrover thx for the link.got lotsa info about RRC...(had to jug 3 beers to go throuhg em all and that makes it the 6th bottle for today
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: )

okay since I feel a bit fuzzy and a bit of memory problem...lemme just say ask some stuff and maybe you guys could clarify this for me...

1.so RRC has air suspension since 94 model, right ? can it also be set higher or lower just like in P38?

2.I saw one RRC has like an roll down back window? is that manual or auto?

3.how's the 4.2L engine works?Funrover when you said it's a slow rig,were you referring to the 3.9L or the 4.2L?

hmm what else...

4.oh yeah, I noticed about the interior changes from 94' to 95' model, it looks very similar to DII's interior but how is the feel? is it more roomy than disco or P38?

5.Does RRC has like specific issues regarding any specific year model?

well if you guys could answer some Qs here or maybe all of them, that would be much appreciated...and I think I need to hit the bed...Thanks

· Underwater hockey is no dumber than any other spor
259 Posts
1.so RRC has air suspension since 94 model, right ? can it also be set higher or lower just like in P38?

Air suspension came out in 1993. All the LWB models have it, a handful of SWB RRCs came out of the factory w/ it too, but most SWB are coil. A good deal of LWBs have been converted to coils. They go up and down just like the P38s, about 5" of travel or so.

No RRs officially imported into the US have roll down windows. COuld be a gray market import or someone who didn't want to deal w/ electric window issues.

3.how's the 4.2L engine works?Funrover when you said it's a slow rig,were you referring to the 3.9L or the 4.2L?

The 4.2 has a little more power and torque than the 3.9 but it was also fitted to the LWB which is 8" longer. The extra power was done to provide the same power to weight ratio. Drivability wise, there shouldn't be much of a noticable difference, if any.

4.oh yeah, I noticed about the interior changes from 94' to 95' model, it looks very similar to DII's interior but how is the feel? is it more roomy than disco or P38?

The interior of the 94/95 RRC are known as the soft dash and VERY similar to the Disco I. Interior space is very similar to the classic w/ the older dash, but the dash is a bit higher which may make it "feel" a little smaller. The DII and P38 interiors are a little bigger.

Air suspensions are notorious. Anything before the 3.9L V8 is horrendously underpowered (not that the 3.9 will blow anyone's socks off). I think the 91-93 SWB are excellent buys as they have a lot of nice features w/o being too complicated. But by now, even the newest RRs are at least 10 yrs old so it's best to find the best one you can afford. There are a lot out there, but some are definitely better cared for then the rest. The previous owner(s) maintenance records will have a far greater impact on reliability than any MY specific issues at this point.

· Registered
176 Posts
I love my RRC - I have a performance cam in mine so no power loss - I even looked at the ole gps and clocked myself going over 80 mph on the interstate!!

We also have a D1 and I just love my RRC better - you can get one so cheap now you might be able to keep the D2 also!

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
The first thing my buddy said about my 93 LWB and his 91 SWB was, "man that thing has a bunch more get up and go than mine."

SO I've driven both and I would say my 4.2 is noticibly beefier than the 3.9.

· Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,914 Posts
Well I have a 94 RRC, and it looks and handles pretty well. I definitely love it, considering it's my first 4x4 vehicle/truck.

· Registered
176 Posts
OkieRover said:
The first thing my buddy said about my 93 LWB and his 91 SWB was, "man that thing has a bunch more get up and go than mine."

SO I've driven both and I would say my 4.2 is noticibly beefier than the 3.9.

I've got a 4.0 in mine and I think it's got more power (i'm sure the cam helps alot) than a friend's 1990 3.9.

· Registered
641 Posts
If you get a LWB (which I would reccomend if you want good carrying capability) then you will have a 4.2. I noticed a drop in power when I started driving my 4.0 discovery. The earlier engines are easier to tune for more power and are a bit simpler to work on due to simpler but older components. The interiors are a bit more utilitarian and in my oppinion not as well laid out. There are not a lot of little storage spaces like in the discovery. I use every cubby hole and compartment within reach on my discovery and in my range rover stuff flies everywhere due to lack of secure storage. I'd definately reccomend shopping around a lot before buying as a good RRC is becoming a bit hard to find these days. The only advantage to buying a tired one is you can replace old bits with new components that are designed to eliminate the downfalls of the originals, such as an aluminum tailgate. When stuff does go wrong it is usually electrical, so finding one that hasn't been messed with under the dash is your best bet.

· Registered
209 Posts
My 1990 Classic might be slow, but it'll blow the doors off a Series :buttrock:

If I were looking to trade a DII for an old RRC, I would not only buy the nicest Classic I could find, but also make sure I could drive the P38 if something goes wrong with the Classic.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts

All RRC's I have seen since 87 on have been power....Only one 1974 RRC i've seen had manual

I have the 3.9....compared to my parents 4.6 it is a lot slower on mountain passes.... I don't have any troubles off road though..... I have pulled many full size rigs out of bad spots, the low end is great..It's just the high end.

There is more back seat room in the P38 than the SWB RRC....I have more knee romm in my RRC though, it is a 1992.

The real problem I notice is the air shocks....just stay away or switch to coil..other than that I can't think of much!

· Registered
162 Posts
95 Lwb

I bought my 95 LWB last year and it has been wonderful. I bought it from original owner with 67k miles on it. Vehicle serviced entire life at the dealer and it was in immaculate shape.
After driving a while, I needed to replace head gasket(not cheap). My mechanic recommended little power boost by shortening the tappets, installing crane cams, and replacing the rock heavy exhaust with stainless steel Borla.
I got that done and it really made difference in performance.
My air bags for the suspension has been replaced by original owner with new air bags and it has not given me any issues and love the feature.
My wife used to have 97 Discovery with 4.0 on it. RR and Disco both are wonderful utilitarian vehicles that will go anywhere in any weather condition.
We get lots on snow in Minnesota and AWD was a first choice. If we wanted speed, we could have gotten the sports car, but when you are thinking Range Rover or Discovery, you have to think this is a AWD Sport Utility Vehicle that is NOT meant for speed, but safely haul family members or yourself to destination in any weather or road condition.

· I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
IF there is something definately to mention the 3.9 and 4.2 have head gasket issues. When you replace it they leave out 4 bolts that are oddly not necessary. And I would agree with the electrical issues. Most everything is easy to get to and easy to work on for the most part.

· Registered
162 Posts
P38 Lucas Vs Bosch

I was actually shopping for either P38 or RR Classic.
I heard the P38 with Lucas (95-98) is not as reliable or durable as the new Bosch (99-2002) models. I was looking at 97 Yellow with 4.6HSE before and it was a very nice ride, luxury, and secure feeling tht is refined. RR Classic in other hand gave me the raw feeling of the utility vehicle that can do anything feeling and it was quite comfortable ride as well. When I heard about the Lucas motor and electrical nightmare on pre-99, I decided to go with the RR Classic. Next upgrade is going to be the newer RR.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
Hey choqiees...what are your ideas for the RRC? Trail rig, daily, etc?

· Registered
176 Posts
Choqiees said:
well yeah I've been seeing lotsa stocks and heavily modified RRC...I own a DII now and been thinking to trade her with RRC....seriously, some guys here have some good looking RRC...it's just classic as the name implies...
Thank you for the nice compliment!

Choqiees said:
ok then lets get down to it...what are the pros and cons if I trade a DII with RRC, from engine prespective to off road capability, the whole nine yards.
Hard to say here I'm a RRC driver and I wouldn't trade it for anything else for offroad.

LRs I've driven offroad:

1999 D1 stock and then modified with a 2" Rovertym(RTE) lift, Heavy Duty RTE front bumper and roof rack - even stock and definately with the mods, it felt very top heavy on the off camber leans (this is the same for all the Discos I've offroaded)

1997 D1 same as above minus the bumper and full roof rack. it has a back pack rack.

1995/96 D1s - one was 3" lift with 33s, the other 2 were stock with BFG MTs - no roof racks or after market bumpers. little less "tippy" feeling.

2000 D2 - on 33s and 35s with HD bumper and roof rack - felt like I was going to tip over at any given moment.

1990 RRC - stock with Goodyear MTRs 31" - no tippy feeling, drove very smooth on and offroad - I drove it for 4 hours on the road and was very comfortable - felt similar to a stock D2/P38 on the road.

1995 RRC LWB - my dream daily driver! - LOVE IT!!!!! (have never offroaded in one)

2001 P38 stock with roof rack - very well except in sand - but also had street tires - though it was so pretty I was scared I was going to scratch it!

2005 LR3 - very impressed with the offroad capabilities but don't like the way it handles on road.

Choqiees said:
I'm looking for a smooth and cool ride which I can enjoy daily and off road occasionally...
I run 285/55 BFG MT's, have a 3" Big Blue Spring lift with Bilstein shocks, a 2" RTE bodylift. I use it now as a daily driver and just love the thing - my better half always tries to drive mine offroad because its easier on the kidneys.

Choqiees said:
oh and also I have a 99 P38 back home so tell me if RRC is better than that

Thanks
I think for offroad I'd go RRC, for on-road, the P38. For the best of both worlds and to answer your question - a 93 or newer RRC. I say ditch the D2 and keep the P38 and get a classic!

One of the biggest reason mine is so smooth is the spring and shock combo I'm using - the Big Blues are very smooth.

Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.