Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Newbie here looking at buying a 1995 Disco.
The '95 Disco I'm looking at has 150K kms. It has had an inspection by land rover and came back clean, as well as another 3rd party inspection that did not reveal anything (besides a cracked windshield). Runs and drives great. Despite this I'm not convinced due to opinions on reliability, etc. I have heard in the past.

Just wondering if I'm asking for punishment here in terms of maintenance, etc. I was hoping some members with '95 Discos could speak up as to their reliability, etc.

My other car is a '04 Mini Cooper S. Looking for a inexpensive 2nd vehicle that can do everything the MINI can't. More of a transition vehicle for a year or 2 until the Cooper S is paid off. I'm hoping with 150K kms on the disco, it should have a few years of reliable life left. Your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Will check around

I don't have the experience with that particular year... will poke around and see what I can find for you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
I have a 95 and love it. The only problems that I have had with it, has been a leaking sunroof (fixed under warranty) and recently occurring, a slightly sagging roof liner (fixed with glue-holding thus far). However, having said this, each vehicle is an individual, and just because one person has little problems, it doesn't mean that it applies to every one. With regards to maintenance costs, that depends a lot on how diligent you are with maintenance. If you you believe that the vehicle is a perpetual motion machine, you will need deep pockets. At 150K the vehicle is still just a "Teenager", so to speak.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,321 Posts
A '95 is a better choice than a '96, even more so if you're the typ to do your own work. The 3.9 with 14CUX is more easily worked on than the Gems that came out in '96. Is the one you are looking at 5 Speed or auto?
Personally, I don't find reliability an issue in any of our Rovers, but I'm more retired than not so not much bothers me. Another reason is I simply don't find a whole lot of reliability, period. Nothing that's ever left me thumbing, but never wanting for some tinkering either. The enjoyment I get from them far outweighs the "issues", so I guess reliability is just a concept boring people talk about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
i have a 96 disco with 109k on the clock, bought it for 5600 USD, basically said: i beat the hell out of it whenever i can(see signature), but i also treat it well and change fluids along with regular maintainence to keep it running smoothly, havent had any serious problems, just things that happen to a vehicle that has over 100k miles on it. EXCELENT VEHICLE CHOICE
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help guys.

Any reliability differences with auto vs 5 spd?

It is an auto 1995. They are asking 6500 (cdn for it)...so around (5200US). Is that a decent deal? No leather interior, and no sunroof (no won't have any leak problems :D ) Body is in great shape, no rust underneath. Needs a new windshield that they will replace. Had a bad exhaust rattle the first time I drove it. Going to remove the cat (where the rattle was) and put a straight pipe.

I'm not afraid to do maintenance myself. I had a 91 stealth twin turbo before this, at it seemed like I was wrenching on it every weekend for the 2 years I owned it. High maintenance for sure...

Have a deposit on it right now. I think I'm going to go ahead with it. Yet another black car in my driveway. It is starting to look depressing with all these black cars...(3 now). Now I wonder if my MINI will fit in the bacK...lol. :clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
As I own both a manual and auto Discovery, I would say that there is not a lot of difference between the two. It just depends on whether you enjoy sitting back and letting the car do all the work, or whether you enjoy changing gears. I personally enjoy it either way, however, I find the manual more enjoyable off-road as it gives me better control over situations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Disco said:
As I own both a manual and auto Discovery, I would say that there is not a lot of difference between the two. It just depends on whether you enjoy sitting back and letting the car do all the work, or whether you enjoy changing gears. I personally enjoy it either way, however, I find the manual more enjoyable off-road as it gives me better control over situations.
I wish it were manual. Oh well. My wife will prefer the auto though.
I've always liked the sunroofs, but I guess since it is a 1995 I am better off without them....no leaks.
Looking forward to getting it. I should be picking it up on Wednesday if all goes well. Have always like discos since I rode in a friends in Chile in 1994ish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
myhomescape.com said:
I wish it were manual. Oh well. My wife will prefer the auto though.
I've always liked the sunroofs, but I guess since it is a 1995 I am better off without them....no leaks.
Looking forward to getting it. I should be picking it up on Wednesday if all goes well. Have always like discos since I rode in a friends in Chile in 1994ish.
Not all the sun roofs are leaky, I have a 95' Disco with 88k on the clock. It has duel sun roofs, and I never had a leak (knock on wood) I bought her at an auction and it turned out the car was not treated very well, soo I had my share of problems. You really need to make sure your buying the car from an only owner, and that the car was well taken care off. If you buy it, id take it for the gas tank recall, something to watch for is a leaky engine, Mine likes to leak oil and that makes for frequent oil changes 6-7k miles...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I bought a very clean 96 SE7 disco with 120k for 5300 but it needed tires and some other small stuff about 1000.00 worth I love it so far only have about 1000 miles on it so Im hopeing everything is great. Let us know - Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
'96 love it

I bought a '96 v8 with 63'000 klms 4 months ago. The first week was scary in that the drivers side electric window died and I blew a top radiator hose, both these were fixed under the 3 month warranty but left me nervous. Since I have covered 8'000 klms of highway, city and some offroad beach and forest trail work and had no trouble with it . AND LOVE IT. :D I actually chose the manual so my wife didn't get to comfortable with it. :eek: My friend bought a brand new Hilux Dual cab at the same time for 23,000 more and has been back to the dealer 7 times with problems. :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
downunderdisco said:
I bought a '96 v8 with 63'000 klms 4 months ago. The first week was scary in that the drivers side electric window died and I blew a top radiator hose, both these were fixed under the 3 month warranty but left me nervous. Since I have covered 8'000 klms of highway, city and some offroad beach and forest trail work and had no trouble with it . AND LOVE IT. :D I actually chose the manual so my wife didn't get to comfortable with it. :eek: My friend bought a brand new Hilux Dual cab at the same time for 23,000 more and has been back to the dealer 7 times with problems. :dunno:
Glad to hear you like it. I'm looking forward to it.
I used to have a Hilux Dual Cab back when I was living/working in the Atacama desert. I was impressed with what that truck could do. The LR should be even better!

This 95 was making a bad clanking noise the first time I drove it. Ended up being the exhaust system (Bad cat) so they removed the cat and put a straight pipe in place of it.

My wife has been driving manual longer than I have, but complains that her leg gets sore driving to work (stop and go traffic).
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top