Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mathias
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm fixing a few coolant leak issues on the D2 (99) that I bought a few months ago. It's been nothing serious, just a (very) slow leak so I have to add some every few weeks or so.. But one of the things I read was to replace the throttle body flange. Once I popped everything off, I actually saw the leak was coming from a tiny crack in the radiator tank on the top left hand side from what may be the previous owner tightening the screw too much. The screw was missing and the tiny little crack was in the screw hole. Added some epoxy to seal the hole.

My question is, since I already bought the flange repair kit, I decided to replace it anyway, and when we got to it, I noticed that the two small hoses that connect the flange are not there.. At all.. It had been totally disconnected this whole time... It might be that the previous owner bypassed them somehow or got rid of them all together for some reason... Is this a problem? Should I replace these lines? It has not affected the trucks performance in cold or hot weather.. But????

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
There is a way to bypass the TB heater plate safely. Disco Mike can give you better info on that, I believe he's been running his like that for a long time with no issues. It apparently has to be REALLY cold (sub-zero) for the TB to ice up on its own.

That being said...I'm hooking mine back up, with a new TB plate and a light coating of Hylomar on the gasket. The PO of my vehicle did NOT do the bypass correctly, and the hoses were spitting coolant all over the place. I don't know how to do the bypass the "right" way, and I'd just as soon hook the hoses back up the way the factory intended.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So, I'm fixing a few coolant leak issues on the D2 (99) that I bought a few months ago. It's been nothing serious, just a (very) slow leak so I have to add some every few weeks or so.. But one of the things I read was to replace the throttle body flange. Once I popped everything off, I actually saw the leak was coming from a tiny crack in the radiator tank on the top left hand side from what may be the previous owner tightening the screw too much. The screw was missing and the tiny little crack was in the screw hole. Added some epoxy to seal the hole.

My question is, since I already bought the flange repair kit, I decided to replace it anyway, and when we got to it, I noticed that the two small hoses that connect the flange are not there.. At all.. It had been totally disconnected this whole time... It might be that the previous owner bypassed them somehow or got rid of them all together for some reason... Is this a problem? Should I replace these lines? It has not affected the trucks performance in cold or hot weather.. But????
Don't do it. It's cheap and easy to do right. It also does NOT have to be below freezing to ice up. There are a few here that have had it happen.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Heli's right about it being cheap and easy to do it the right way. I wish the PO had done it that way instead of what he did do...

Heli, I've read conflicting reports about the TB icing, some threads I've looked at on here have people reporting no icing in cold climates, but there are probably other factors at play. I'm with you on playing it safe and leaving it hooked up, however. Even though I could probably get away without it given that I live in the south.

·
Mathias
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that is my issue right now.. Again, everything is running fine. But I do live in Colorado and we, for instance, have a high of 28 today.. So I don't know if it's a good idea to undo the bypass that the PO did (although, he seems to have done it right) and re-work those hoses in to the proper inlet/outlet, or should I just leave well enough alone since it seems to be in good working shape as is?

If the consensus is that I SHOULD undo the bypass, does anyone have any literature/outlets of how to do and undo said bypass?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The TB heater plate receives one hose that runs over from the coolant reservoir, and one that comes from the top of the lower manifold, off of a nipple next to the coolant temp sensor. I would assume that the bypass simply links the two together, so I would remove whatever contraption has been put in place to do that, and replace with new hoses, like these:

Hose: Expansion Tank To Throttle Hose (PCH000420 Same Fit As Part # PCH000420 ) - Land Rover hoses from Atlantic British

Hose Coolant Intake To Throttle Bod (PEH101540 Same Fit As Part # PEH101540 ) - Land Rover cooling/heating from Atlantic British

What do the rest of the hoses look like? AB does sell a kit that has all the coolant hoses, including those.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Heli's right about it being cheap and easy to do it the right way. I wish the PO had done it that way instead of what he did do...

Heli, I've read conflicting reports about the TB icing, some threads I've looked at on here have people reporting no icing in cold climates, but there are probably other factors at play. I'm with you on playing it safe and leaving it hooked up, however. Even though I could probably get away without it given that I live in the south.
Problem is that yea, maybe it never ices up. But that one time the throttle sticks open and you or somebody else gets hurt, or worse. And it CAN happen in temps well above freezing. Humidity also plays a part, which you DO have in the south. Not worth it in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.