Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Discovery with about 75,000 miles on it. Over the past 4 months a serious ticking noise has evolved, so that I sound like I am driving a beater around town. I am a novice car guy, and so I took it to my mechanic and he said that he did an oil-pressure test and it passed the test. He thinks the ticking is coming from the top of the engine, potentially near the cam shaft or cam shaft bearings. He did not take the engine apart, and determined this through a stethoscope.

The mechanic told me that he cannot buy cam shaft parts, and that the only fix would be to install a new(used) engine. Can this be true?!?

I would appreciate any thoughts.

I am unsure if this is related, but the car also has a nasty smell protruding mostly from the front it is a gas/burnt oil type smell. The fumes are also intense at time coming from the back of the car as well.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Also looking for any recommendations for a good Land Rover mechanic in the Chicago area. I'm willing to drive for the right person.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Look up the vin range for the 2003 oil pump failures. If you fall in this it could still be your pump, they are metal gears, and the crack and snap, but still can hold oil pressure; some people drive on it for months at a time. Also, for the smell, it could be numerous things, open your hood, and peek down at each catalytic converter, check for oil on them, them just check for any other leaks.
Common leaks:
Throttle body leaks coolant into cats
Head gasket seeping oil into cats
Valve cover bolts loosen and leak onto cats
I'm only really Listing the stuff on the cats because you say it smells burnt

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice, Dane.

I checked the the vin number and I do fall within the faulty VIN #'s. Do you think it's a pump issue?

I will check out the leakage spots you noted, although I am not even sure I can locate all of those areas myself.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I believe if you do in fact have a rod knock, that it's definitely stemmed from the oil pump, but Your mechanic told you it passed the oil pressure test, so if its still pushing oil you have a lower chance of needing an engine replacement, my guess would be the pumps gears are snapped, as they commonly do, and are ticking. As for the leaks, just look at the exhaust pipes coming from the each side of the engine, inspect them the length of then and check for oil on them. Rovers are known for leaking, but most are easy fixes.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Although it may be more economical to put another engine in you are still talking large $s
If you really trust your mechanic and he knows what he is doing I would say leave it at that.

A mechanic with some years of experience should know a top end noise from a bottom end noise. I personally have not heard a cam bearing tick or knock. That being said it could still be valve train (lifter, rocker, pushrods etc.) cam bearings may wear but do not knock.
Does it run rough? Lack of power? Engine light on?
If you want help the first thing you need, if you can't do it your self is a mechanic you trust
He will be able to advise you better overall than any of us here online
��⏰

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look up the vin range for the 2003 oil pump failures. If you fall in this it could still be your pump, they are metal gears, and the crack and snap, but still can hold oil pressure; some people drive on it for months at a time. Also, for the smell, it could be numerous things, open your hood, and peek down at each catalytic converter, check for oil on them, them just check for any other leaks.
Common leaks:
Throttle body leaks coolant into cats
Head gasket seeping oil into cats
Valve cover bolts loosen and leak onto cats
I'm only really Listing the stuff on the cats because you say it smells burnt
Where can I find the VIN Range? I'm looking at purchasing a Discovery and would like to have this info available as I search. I've run into several '03's that have this smell and slight tic'ing sound.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Oh ya
Oil pump can cause these problems
If you are fixing it include an oil pump.
Did your guy check oil pressure at operating temp.?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First of all quit driving the Disco, are you trying to blow it up???????????????????????
Second, quit using that mechanic, you can buy any of the internal parts all over the web.
How mechanical are you, can you follow directions?

·
Registered
2 Posts
The smell could be from the cat, and as for the ticing, I would say either an exhaust leak or a rocker arm is a bit loose. What does the ticking sound like? Is it always there, or does it go away when letting off the gas? If it does go away when letting off the gas, I would bet an exhaust leak where the manifold meets the block. If its a rocker arm, it will most always be there. And I would recommend getting that fixed ASAP. I had an old exhausrt leak on an old chevy I had for the longest time, till I found a sm a ll part of the gasket blew out. Replaced the gasket, and quiet as a church mouse! Sounds to me like your mechanic is trying to take you for a several thousand dollar ride!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Your cat wouldn't increase pressure, unless you did what I did, which is run the truck on a bad maf sensor with the fuel so rich it spit out black smoke and carbon. I don't think it's a gasket leak from his exhaust. I've had this the leak, he said the noise stays, and exhaust leaks quiet as the engine temp increases.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone for your help. To answer DiscoMike's question, I have never worked on a car. I can fix anything in a house, but I have never worked on a car. I can definitely follow directions but interested to hear what you have in mind.

Thank you again for everyone's help. Sorry for delayed response. I am trying to save this car but do not want to put thousands of dollars into it.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
PM me your number and I'll call and walk you thru what to check/do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.