Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
My 92 SWB came with a receipt that showed the engine was rebuilt at around 130,000 kilometres, probably because of the strict emissions laws out in British Columbia.
It has 180,000 kilometres now and the truck is really mint because of the mild winters out in B.C..

I have owned it for about a month. I am told by many the engine is "bulletproof". Some sort of old push rod Buick engine....

However there is a lifter "tick" on one of the cylinders. I have changed the oil twice after using some oil detergent before the first one.

Is there anything that can be adjusted or looked at on these old 3.9's to alleviate the problem????

· Registered
33 Posts
The first and most likley thing to check is the rockers,but look at the little caps that are pressed in where the push rod sits in it,if the cap is loose replace the rocker,remember there is a left and right rocker (2 part #'s) if you dont find any rocker cups loose you will have to go further and check the lifters and cam lobes for wear.
use a light oil like 5w-30 too.
remove the valve covers, loosen the rocker shafts evenly and be carefull not to drop any push rods into the lifter valley. 1/2 day job at most.

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I would hope that the lifters as well as the cam and pushrod were replaced when the engine was rebuilt 50K kilometers (30K miles) ago. One would have thought the rebuilder would have checked the rocker assembly as well in the course of the rebuild. How certain are you that the "tick" you are hearing is in fact coming from a cylinder? I only ask because I have seen people with exhaust leaks between the manifold and head think that they needed a valve job.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the exhaust

OkieRover said:
Check for an exhaust leak. They also sound like a lifter tick.
It's just a single lifter tick when cold. I am positive it's not an exhaust leak.
I am using 10w30 synthetic....it quiets the lifter symphony after start up.... it's just that one annoying tick!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.