Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping I'd never hear this sound again.. ugh! Almost exactly a year ago we took our 2002 in to a repair shop for a ticking sound under the hood. It took them almost 2 months to diagnose the problem, but eventually fixed it.
List of work done:
New Camshaft
New cyl #1 intake lifter
cyl #4 intake and exhaust lifters
cyl #6 exhaust lifter
cyl #7 intake and exhaust lifters
cyl #8 intake lifter
replaced all remaining lifters

Everything ran great for the last year... until the sound returned yesterday :mad: Is it possible to have problems with the lifters again seeing as they were ALL just replaced? That just doesn't seem right. I am thinking about taking it back to the same shop since we're still somewhat covered under our extended warranty. (We had to pay $780 of $2700 for the last repairs) But I'm wondering if they will ever be able to completely fix this problem??? The sound only starts after driving for a few minutes.. I can never hear it at start up. It gets faster when accelerating and is constant when idle. I'm assuming it's something with the lifters again.. I just don't understand why they would be bad already! Any ideas??

·
1,783 Posts
Is it multiple ticks all at once & at same time. Or a tap tap?

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a tap tap tap when idle and while driving but not pressing on the gas and gets a LOT faster when accelerating. Can't hear it when driving at faster speeds.. but I'm assuming it's just getting drowned out by all the noise

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's a leaky manifold.. I had a friend mechanic listen/look at it and he didn't mention anything like that. (Although he doesn't know a lot about Land Rovers specifically). He put some kind of thick oil additive in it to try to lube it up more since the noise seems to start after the oil thins out while driving. But that hasn't seemed to help. Would it even be possible for the lifters to be bad already since they were just replaced? If so, what would make them go bad so quickly? Or should I be looking into other ticking causes?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got a 2004 Disco that started ou as a little tick, replaced lifters and push rods, cleaned out rocker assemblies and it all didn't do a thing. That was at 94,000 now I'm at 111,000 and just replaced it with a used 2002 Rangie 4.6 today. We have about 2 more hours of little things to do and should be ready to start by noon tomorrow. After I get this running I'm going to tear my old motor completely down and try and find out what was making the noise. The fact that it only starts after warm(which mine did also) we are fairly certain it will be a slipped liner or posibly a wrist pin. You too may want to consider those 2 options, good luck. Chris

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
I don't think it's a leaky manifold.. I had a friend mechanic listen/look at it and he didn't mention anything like that. (Although he doesn't know a lot about Land Rovers specifically). He put some kind of thick oil additive in it to try to lube it up more since the noise seems to start after the oil thins out while driving. But that hasn't seemed to help. Would it even be possible for the lifters to be bad already since they were just replaced? If so, what would make them go bad so quickly? Or should I be looking into other ticking causes?
If it is lifters it will generally be worse when cold. You are probably looking for something else. How loud is the ticking? What oil are you running and what is the weather temp currently where you live?

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
What year is the truck, how many miles on the engine and how often do you change your oil?

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it is lifters it will generally be worse when cold. You are probably looking for something else. How loud is the ticking? What oil are you running and what is the weather temp currently where you live?

It is very apparent over the sound of the engine when idle..when accelerating it almost sounds like cards in bicycle spokes, gets REALLY fast but not necessarily louder between 1,000 and 2,000 RPMs then disappears but returns when I slow back down. I've been using Pennzoil 5W30.
I live in Wisconsin so we just came out of a brutally cold winter and the weather just started to turn Springish.. mid 40's 50's. My friend also just did a little tune up on it the day before it started ticking.. he replaced the spark plugs/wires, new battery, and an oil change... not sure if any of that would matter but thought I'd throw that in there. How much does the type of gasoline you use affect this sort of thing? I've been reading on here about the higher octane which I never knew.. I've always used Reg. Unleaded. Would that matter? If so, the damage is already done, huh?

·
1,783 Posts
5w30 & Regular gas does not sound helpful. I always use 93 & Mobil 1 synth 5w40 TDT keeps my Rover now at 183,300 miles happy & I change my oil at 5000 miles will go to 5500 this time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i dont know much about these land rover engines, other than what i have read the past month on here, but for an engine that requires thicker oil and premium gasoline, that seems like thats what would cause it. try putting the 5-40, 10-40, or 15-40 oil in it, new filter, and 92-93 octane gas and see if it fixes it. run 92-93 from now on, dont use regular gas. look for that little yellow sticker on the inside of your gas door ;)

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
I agree with David, last thing you do is run cheap gas in your Disco, beside carboning up your engine, you'll loose a couple miles per gallon and a lot of power.
Sounds like it is time for you to go get your oil pressure tested and real soon, that noise you hear is just tearing away at your engine and will cost you more the longer it goes.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
It is very apparent over the sound of the engine when idle..when accelerating it almost sounds like cards in bicycle spokes, gets REALLY fast but not necessarily louder between 1,000 and 2,000 RPMs then disappears but returns when I slow back down. I've been using Pennzoil 5W30.
I live in Wisconsin so we just came out of a brutally cold winter and the weather just started to turn Springish.. mid 40's 50's. My friend also just did a little tune up on it the day before it started ticking.. he replaced the spark plugs/wires, new battery, and an oil change... not sure if any of that would matter but thought I'd throw that in there. How much does the type of gasoline you use affect this sort of thing? I've been reading on here about the higher octane which I never knew.. I've always used Reg. Unleaded. Would that matter? If so, the damage is already done, huh?
I am not sure how to explain this. There are "Ticking" noises and there are "knocking" noises. Ticking noises tend not to be overly loud and more like someone tapping a pen on the table. Knocking noises are more solid, like someone tapping a hammer on a bit of metal. If it is a ticking noise, I would be more looking a the rockers (based on you having a new cam and lifters and based on it doing it when it is warm). If it is a knocking, I would be looking at something in the bottom end, like a slipped liner.

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice everyone.. I will definitely be changing oil and gas! I took a couple of videos hoping to give you a better idea of the sound.. hopefully this works and you can see them. The second one is short and might be hard to hear but I got a little of what it sounds like while driving. Any more suggestions after listening???

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/548162138638" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/548162138638" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/548161839238" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/548161839238" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

·
Registered
5,693 Posts

·
HeatherLynn
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
P76...how easy/hard of a fix is that? I just dropped it off with my mechanic friend who is going to look at a couple things for me, test oil pressure etc.. I mentioned something about a possible slipped liner to him and he hadn't heard that term before which makes me a little nervous considering he's a very knowledgeable mechanic. Could you explain that anymore? (I know close to nothing about this stuff)

·
Registered
128 Posts
the piston sleeve is steel/iron, and the block is aluminum. its when the liner moves within the block because of the different metals. cast iron blocks dont need sleeves because their block material is the same as the sleeve material.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts