Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the A Pillar recall notices have gone out. Seems the initial worries of the shops cutting out and rewelding new A pillars was unfounded. The estimated time quoted by the shop is 2 hours or less. Simple matter of removing the trim and installing a new piece, whose 'skin' is softer. I believe it effects all Freelanders from the begining through early 2004 models.

I can't remember if it was on this BBS where I spoke of the windshield problem, but here's an update. The dealer agreed there was a problem with the wipers unable to wipe the glass clear. Didn't seem to matter if it was poring down cats & Dogs, or just a light mist with the wipers on intermitant. After changing arms once, blades three times, they changed out the glass. Well damned if the problem didn't go away.

After driving 7 hours in sleet and snow to Maine a few weeks before Christmas, I had finally had it. Since it's my wife's car, I decided it wasn't right for her to have to deal with this blurred windshield each and every time it was damp out, so I spoke with the nice people at Mahwah, NJ (LRNA), they called the dealer, and guess what? Now they want to change the windshield Again. I agreed to this as the last step before I have to go to the Motor Vehicle Department. Owner loyalty only goes so far. The Freelander was her first choice when she shopped for a new car, but she can't drive any of our other Landies. Well, I guess she could drive the XD, or my son's RRC (he's on active duty, he won't mind) but she says they are tanks compared to her car, She's right about that, and she looks so cute in her Little Freak

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had the A-pillar changeout done on my '02. I was expecting the new pieces to be softer, as you say, but they're just as hard. Different shape. I don't have any idea what the change accomplishes. Perhaps they don't shatter into throat-slitting jags in an accident, :dunno:

The work done by my dealer was fine, the pieces look fine, and if I didn't know they were replaced I probably would never notice anything different.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Try this on your windshield

Have you tried putting RainEx on your windshield? It is a silicone compound that apparently fills in the microscopic pores in the glass causing the rain to bead up and run off. It also helps the wipers be more effective. Just wash the windshield clean and then apply following the directions on the bottle. You may have to reapply every month or so in wet weather.

And ... :rolleyes: This may sound silly but are you sure the fogginess isn't on the INSIDE? You could have a small coolant leak in the heater core causing coolant to condense on the inside of the windshield. Also the A/C is supposed to come on when above a certain temperature and you select defrost. That is supposed to dehumidify the interior of the car. Maybe it's not coming on.

HTH

Brian

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,
I appreciate the ideas, however, the problem has been there since the car was new, andd one would expect the glass not to have any pitting at that point.

The problem is not a 'fogginess' as you say, but clearly a smear. The right wiper, on the upswing, brings all the water to the center of the windshield, and the left wiper, on the downswing, rather than clear it away, just smears it instead of wiping it away. The dealer first changed out the blades, same on second visit/complaint. Then the arms on the 3rd visit/complaint. It wasn't until he had the car in on a wet day, did he actually see the problem firsthand, and ordered up and changed the glass. Not only did he agree that the problem existed, he also agreed it was a safety issue. The problem didn't go away, and LRNA got involved. They have asked the dealer to change the windshield AGAIN. That was supposed to be done 2 weeks ago, along with the new A piller pieces, but due to a death in the family, we had to reschedual. It is due to be done next week, so I'll report back then.
Regarding Rainex; I use it on the 110 with good results. Any Defender owner will tell you, wiper blade size and swept area leave alot to be desired, and rainex makes the unswept area more clear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
HMBFreelander said:
Have you tried putting RainEx on your windshield? It is a silicone compound that apparently fills in the microscopic pores in the glass causing the rain to bead up and run off. It also helps the wipers be more effective. Just wash the windshield clean and then apply following the directions on the bottle. You may have to reapply every month or so in wet weather.

My advice would be NEVER, EVER apply Rain-X.
It is extremely effective at dispersing the water into beads at speeds above 50mph but absolutely aweful at low speed where wipers are required.

Once this stuff has been applied, you will never get it off and it will cause a hell of a lot of bouncing and screeching of the wiper blades. Rain-X is for life and once it has started to loose its dispersant properties, you will wish you had never bothered.

On a positive note, it would be fantastic for motorcyclist or racing drivers on their crash helmets where wipers are not used.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts