Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to set the timing on a 94 D90 NA. Can anyone tell me where the distributor clamp bolt is?

In the manual is mentions the possibility of overheating due to timing. I knao the timing is off a little, but can this really make it overheat?

I had it in to the dealer for pressure test and they recommended a new radiator, which was needed. I replaced that and the thermostat. Its cooling better now, but still overheats at idle. Given it is about 102 deg F here.

I've checked the viscous fan and it seems OK - good resistance but not seized.

Anything else to check?

Thanks
Michael

·
rovering??
689 Posts
have you flushed all the coolant?
i generally flush all the coolant at least every 9 months.
also check the oil cap and see if there is a thick greasy residue.. and do u remember when u changed the oil ?when ever u did , did you dind any coolant in it or did the oil look milky? if it did then you may have a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
An often overlook cause of radiator problems can be traced to trapped air in the cylinder heads. Areas inside the engine that the air pocket contacts are insulated from the cooling effects of the radiator coolant, meaning less heat is carried away to the outside. What happens is that when the temperature of the uncooled area gets higher than the boiling point of the coolant, steam is created.
Air pockets can form when the cooling system is being refilled after a coolant change. The trapped air may also prevent your new thermostat from opening and cause the engine to overheat. The problem here is that it may lead to additional damage such as head cracking or warping. Another symptom of air trapped in the cooling system would be little or no heat output from the heater when the engine is warm. After your motor has warmed up, turn on the heater and see if this happens.
Also, your timing problems may well be heat related.
Unfortunately, cooling problem fixes, like those of fuel, ignition/electrical, drive train etc, have to be isolated one item at a time.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
mkerr2112 said:
Trying to set the timing on a 94 D90 NA. Can anyone tell me where the distributor clamp bolt is?

In the manual is mentions the possibility of overheating due to timing. I knao the timing is off a little, but can this really make it overheat?

Michael
Not to be cute, but the distributor clamp NUT (not bolt) Is right on top of the distributor clamp. Your timing should be about 8 degrees BTDC, though I run 10. Stock distributor advance is 34 degrees, but you would have to be running zero to 5 degrees ATDC before it would overheat due to retarded timing. Running significantly advanced, for performance will also cause it to run hotter, simply because you are producing more horsepower, though also high hydrocarbons and poor fuel milage. Too far advanced and you'll notice it starting, especially when it's hot, strong resistance to cranking over because it's firing so advanced it wants to push the crank backwards.
Unless your timing is seriously F'd up, I'd suggest you concentrate on the more common overheating causes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.