Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No that I'm in to my timing chain, any tricks or pitfalls that I should be aware of before getting started? This part makes me nervous because I'd hate to get everything back together to discover I messed up the timing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Replace the gears facing the correct way, theres an arrow on them, arrow facing towards you, and replace them exactly (new gear arrow should be in same position as old) put a small mark on the block were the arrows where. As for putting the chain on, you have to put it on both gears before sliding on the shafts. just make sure that your new gears arrows are in the exact same spot as the punch mark.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Replace the gears facing the correct way, theres an arrow on them, arrow facing towards you, and replace them exactly (new gear arrow should be in same position as old) put a small mark on the block were the arrows where. As for putting the chain on, you have to put it on both gears before sliding on the shafts. just make sure that your new gears arrows are in the exact same spot as the punch mark.
Thanks! I'll move forward.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Dry-fit the cam gear. There were an awful lot of them recently with excessive casting flash on the ID.

Curiously, the one I got in a green and white box had the same casting flash as the one in the plain brown wrapper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got around to this and the large gear will not slide on to the camshaft. It seems like the notch on the gear is a little large than the notch fitting on the cam. I was really hoping to get this done today. Is this something I should try to force with a rubber hammer? Or, I could stop the job and order a replacement for the new gear that won't work. Other option would be to simply use the old gear which doesn't appear to be in poor condition.

Thanks guys. Nothing seems to be as easy as it looks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any thoughts guys? Thinking I'll call Brit parts of Utah tomorrow and let them know it doesn't fit. That is unless it is supposed to be a tight fit and I need to force it a little. What do you think?

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Sounds like the ID casting issue PTSchram referenced in his post right above yours. I would recommend calling or contact him since he already called it out before you got the part. Sounds like it needs some cleaning on the inside part of the gear. Don't just go to grinding...talk to him first. This is good info for me as well since I might be doing something similar soon. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like the ID casting issue PTSchram referenced in his post right above yours. I would recommend calling or contact him since he already called it out before you got the part. Sounds like it needs some cleaning on the inside part of the gear. Don't just go to grinding...talk to him first. This is good info for me as well since I might be doing something similar soon. Keep us updated.
Great idea biscuit!

What do you think PT?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All,

Just got off the phone with British Parts of Utah. They said that they haven't had any problems with the camshaft sprocketts. He advised that the part is probably a tight fit because it is new and that I should position it, attach the bolt, and force it on by tightening it down. I'm a little hesitant about doing this. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.