Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Do we have to get into these stupid debates on everything.
Yeah, not really. I was asking a question as your original post was somewhat unclear. Now you have clarified it. My other comment was for clarification as we here in the states seem to regularly encounter a language barrier with you and for the purposes of clarity, I thought that might help.

In a previous post you stated that it isn't uncommon for the timing marks to be out, but offered no suggestion on how that may occur. We less-knowledgeable went with the assumption that, since the most common reason for this is a slipping damper ring, that would possibly be the cause. Can you circle back on this one and explain further?

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
Do we have to get into these stupid debates on everything. I was responding to the two posts below that suggested the outer ring on the pulley may have slipped. I was just pointing out that the 3.9's and 4.2's did not have a two part harmonic balancer. They are solid. Therefore there is no outer ring to move. You are correct in saying that the 4.0's and 4.6's do have a harmonic balancer, but this is not what is being discussed.
Just because none of what you are saying makes any sense and you seem to be continually avoiding the questions asked by others' I checked with Rimmer Bros. website and apparently it is a harmonic balancer (2 piece with bolt on pulley)

Range Rover Classic V8 Crankshaft Pulley at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

So it possible for it to slip and likely has and yes timing marks are on the outer ring:nerd:nerd

I received this post quote on my phone @11am my time . Melbourne is 16 hrs ahead 3am
Anyone else find it funny

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
:winkYes
That's the rascal!!
Note the rubber between the inner and outer portions (harmonic balancer, balancer, vibration damper thingamajig)
:wink:grin:nerd

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I know much less about the older Rovers, but the lack of a damper made me curious. I have seen some very interesting engineering approaches over the years and having become familiar with the LR, I was anticipating adding one more to the catalog.

Way back when, some builders deleted these items from blown race engines, replacing them with a stub mount for blower pullies. The thought being that the blower was adding effective mass and that mass was slowing how quickly the engine could rev. It was believed the blower drive belt would act in place of the damper. These engines typically met their demise for a number of other reasons, but broken cranks were not uncommon.

The reason dampers fail is that they convert those torsional vibrations to heat. Energy can't be destroyed, but it can be converted and dissipated in another fashion. I also got a chance to see how they got that rubber in there, which I found fascinating. They compressed the rubber ring in a fixture, then immersed it in liquid nitrogen. It froze the rubber in its compressed state. They slid it over the hub and then set the ring over the assembly. Simple and ingenious. I learned later that's how they make torsion axles for trailers.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
it is a harmonic balancer (2 piece with bolt on pulley)
Not to tiddle around here Red but a harmonic balancer is a weighted device to balance an engines internals with. Rover engines do not use a harmonic balancer. The Rover engine is internally balanced hence no harmonic balancer required. Just say'n, not pick'n. I know what you meant.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Not to tiddle around here Red but a harmonic balancer is a weighted device to balance an engines internals with. Rover engines do not use a harmonic balancer. The Rover engine is internally balanced hence no harmonic balancer required. Just say'n, not pick'n. I know what you meant.
Technically speaking, the term harmonic balancer is a misnomer. The device found bolted to the snouts on the crankshafts of virtually all engines is a harmonic damper. Some applications do piggyback a bob weight into the hub assembly, purely as an engineering convenience. This is most common in large-displacement applications with large crankshafts. It's a cheap way out. The bob weight has no effect on the torsional dynamics of the crank.

Virtually everyone refers to them as a balancer. When you Google harmonic damper, the first result returned is a Wikipedia listing for harmonic balancer.

·
Administrator
2,410 Posts
Thanks for the input

Ill start first with looking into that slotted key on the crank to see if it is damaged and where the pulley is in relation to the slot.
Dezertrover. There is lots of debate going on about what you have and what you need.

An update from you would be great if you can,
pictures of the " crank pulley " /call it what you may would also be appreciated if you have :nerd

Reactions: ihscouts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ok, folks heres what ended up happening in the last 8 months since I was last on here.

I had a friend come over, to help me with the crank pulley issue and to help re-time the motor after distributor crapped out.
I took the pulley off to look for the woodruff key on crank, and it was still there and had not been sheered off.
We ended up replacing with distributor with new a Pertronix distributor, coil and wires. We ended up rotating crank a couple of times while the number one spark plug was out to check which stroke the cylinder was on. After a couple of tries, we were able to get the engine to start, with the rotor pointing to the number one plug wire on the cap with the timing light attached the the number one spark plug wire. The only thing that seemed out of the ordinary is that the factory timing mark appeared to be jumping side to side slightly while we had the timing light pointed down towards the timing marks. We suspected a worn timing chain, but were able to get the truck running again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do we have to get into these stupid debates on everything. I was responding to the two posts below that suggested the outer ring on the pulley may have slipped. I was just pointing out that the 3.9's and 4.2's did not have a two part harmonic balancer. They are solid. Therefore there is no outer ring to move. You are correct in saying that the 4.0's and 4.6's do have a harmonic balancer, but this is not what is being discussed.
of course it has rubber in between...clearly visible in all photos of the vibration damper for the 4.2 engine. I have 2 of them why do people say things that they have no idea about?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Serpentine belt pulleys do, V belt pulleys don't
You are totally incorrect. The rubber is pretty thin but it is definitely there in the V-belt balancer.. Maybe you should actually look at one before you speak...my 4.2 Balancer happens to be on the bench and it has rubber in between there.. So He a look and get your facts straight.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts