Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a short errand in my new-to-me Disco II I noticed something dripping out of the left front. After investigation I found a tiny crack in the top of the left hand tank of the radiator. Take a look at the pics and tell me if I need a new rad or will some stop leak of some sort fix this? It's a tiny crack, about 3/4" long but it does leak. For scale, the two circles are each about the same diameter as a pencil. What options do I have, the rad looks new. I see some have had success with JB Weld, I realize that may be temporary but worth a try? Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Realistically you need a rad
For reliability replacing the rad is the way to go
J.b.weld or other epoxy repairs will only be temporary and I would not rely on it.
From the picture the tank is distorted beyond the area leaking and it will only be a matter of time until it grows

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From the picture the tank is distorted beyond the area leaking and it will only be a matter of time until it grows
I'm not sure what you mean? Maybe my pic was distorted somehow? Thank you for the advice, it will be heeded.

·
Registered
217 Posts
No use taking a chance on this radiator or temp repairs, order in a radiator and replace pronto. Will save you heartache and money down the road. Hardest part will be bleeding system of air on refilling. There are plenty aftermarket radiators on the market to save you a little money.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No use taking a chance on this radiator or temp repairs, order in a radiator and replace pronto. Will save you heartache and money down the road. Hardest part will be bleeding system of air on refilling. There are plenty aftermarket radiators on the market to save you a little money.
Looks like the consensus is a new rad. I was hoping to save the money but in the long run.....

Thanks to all for the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone have experience/knowlege regarding which radiator to buy? There can be a big price discrepancy between some and others. I understand the metal ones will last longer, but do the expensive one's = lower temps? I'm in the market for one too. I don't mind spending more if there's immediate value (cooler temps), but if longevity is the only benefit, I will most likey go the less expensive route. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have experience/knowlege regarding which radiator to buy? There can be a big price discrepancy between some and others. I understand the metal ones will last longer, but do the expensive one's = lower temps? I'm in the market for one too. I don't mind spending more if there's immediate value (cooler temps), but if longevity is the only benefit, I will most likey go the less expensive route. Any input would be appreciated.
X2 Good question. I've now seen new rads priced from $135 to $450. Input would be appreciated. I know I'll get what I pay for...

·
Straight Up Climb
22 Posts
I purchased one on Ebay for $100 from Spectra Premium and it has worked great for over a year now. Look at the feed back posted on the sellers site, and roll the dice. If you want cheap, it's always a gamble; I was lucky and got a great product.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.