Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new '03 RR (19,000 mi) still has its original tires. How many miles (typically) until they need to be replaced? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 LWB KITTED 95 LWB Chop Top 03 D2
213 Posts
tire milage

Take a look at the make and model of your tires. Go to tirerack.com or to the manufacturers web site to see the average tread wear warrantee. Its probably a 40k tire. Granted this is if you corner gently and rotate every 5k miles or some such disclaimer like that.

D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks H. I'll check it out. Anyone with an '03 RR have any experience with tire life?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Derek:

The tires suck, I agree with you. But I like the car. Apparantly the '04 RR have different (better) tires. I probably will replace them soon, but hate to fork over the dough for new tires before the car hits 25k miles.

As far as the rest of the car, as I said, I'm happy with it and have no significant coomplaints. My car came with a modular front brush bar that I don't like and plan to remove (which requires me to replace the front bumper, kind of annoying and expensive), but otherwise haven't had any expenses related to the car. I also have a Lexus LX 470, and I like driving the RR better, so that tells you something because the Lexus is a great car.

Are you dissapointed with the RR?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Derek:

There was a post recently on the new Nav system that was very negative, so perhaps we're better off with the old one. I'm more interested adding a DVD system that the Nav; I may go with the headrest sytem (about $1500) in the Spring.

I'm with you as far as the car as a whole-- I really like it. I'm affraid, however, that Ford (new owner of Land Rover) is going to ruin it over the next few years, so you may want to keep the '03 longer than you think. I am. I was told that the '03 and '04 are all BMW (Ford didn't have time yet to change anything), but that Ford's parts/design will beging to be integrated into the '05 and later. By '06-'07, you may be driving a Ford. Let me know if you hear anything on that front. I wonder if histroy will show that the '03 and '04 RR are the last great SUVs from Land Rover.

As far as the LR3, the most trusted mechanic at my dealership told me that it's "basically a Ford Explorer" with more hp, bells and whistles, and he is concerned that this car will keep him very busy for years to come. So, stick with the RR, whatever you do. :wave:

GBG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your theory of a bastardized car-- as opposed to a mature car-- makes sense to me, but, at the same time, suggests that you should wait much longer than '06 before byuing a new RR. Land Rover/Ford probably won't have the Ford parts fully integrated-- and working well-- for some time. So, the new generation of "Ford RR's"-- at least in the first few production years (including '06)-- may be the most problematice in recent memory. I'd be very careful to monitor just jow much they change the car from year to year-- the more change, the more red flags should go up.

I plan to kep the '03 until about 100k or 2009, whichever comed fiirst, and then either trade up or just buy a new one and keep the '03 (depending on how much the '03 is worth and how it's running).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
120???? Holy ****. I haven't even hit 85 yet. (I am a car nut, so, unfortunately, I spend/waste a lot of money on cars-- a weakness of mine, I admot-- so I have a Porsche 911 for high speed fun. But even in the 911, 95-100 is about as high as I've ever gone. 120 is impressive-- hope the radar detective was working well!)

The RR has a great feel to it on the highway, no question-- solid as a rock. And you can't beat the car's looks. I just removed the modular push bar on the front bumper and grills on the back lights (probably will try to sell them on Ebay-- they're over 1k new from a dealer), so now my '03 is completely clean on the outside, looks great. I'm real happy with the car, and, as I said, hope to keep it for 5 years or so.

I was tempted to get the 20" wheels-- there was an '04 in the lot with 20s-- but decided that the 19" actually look better on the car (perfromance wise I don't beleive there's much of a difference) and the '03 that I purchased looked the same as the '04 inside and out but was 12k less. I couldn't justify spending the additional 12k. I love bigger wheels on sports cars, but on the RR it somehow looked strange to me.

120!

GBG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why is it so difficult to find tiresd for your 19" rims, I don't get it. For $300-400 or so a pop, you should be able to get high quality tires, no?

Yes, there were holes after the brush bar was removed, but I had them filled in and painted and, 1k later, the bumper looks like new. Hated to spend the grand, but I really didn't like the look of the brush bar. Looks perect now (like your car looks).

I haven't ventured off road yet, but will try it one of these days. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Re #7: :eek: Don't trust this mechanic. The LR3 has nothing in common with Explorer and is, if anything, a better vehicle than Range Rover. Give yourself time to get used to its looks. It is aimed more towards the practical side than luxury. (Yes, I have driven both cars both on and off road :drive: )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"The LR3 has nothing in common with Explorer and is, if anything, a better vehicle than Range Rover"

Define "better". If by better you mean more value for the money, you're probably right. Otherwise, I strongly disagree. The RR is the most luxurious (and imho best looking) SUV on the market, bar none. The LR3 is not even close by this standard. On the other hand, if you judge the car by performance, the RR is blown away by many SUV's, including the LR3. So, it's a matter of what criteria one uses to judge a car's worth. All in all, the LR3 at 50,000 is simply not in the same class as the RR at $75,000-- they each have their pros and cons, but will probably appeal to different audiences.

For me, pure perfomance is not that critical in an SUV (although nobody wants a dog). if it were, I'd buy a Cayenne or an X5, not an LR3-- I'm more concerned with comfort, looks, and safety. I'm very happy with a RR.

DG: Is the '03 RR's tires really that bad in snow? that's very dissapointing. let me know if you find any other suitable new tires, and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, I agree. In fact the Golf is better than a Range Rover by some criteria ;) . Though I would not swap! However, a lot was learned from Range Rover and this was not forgotten when it came to designing LR3. Technology has moved on during the last 4 years and LR3 reflects this.
Speaking only from my own requirements, it has more user friendly off road capability, more interior space and seating and a better diesel engine. (We like our diesels here in Europe!) :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to say I am in complete aggreement on the tire issue. The Goodyear Wrangler HP are the pits on snow and ice! All other aspects of the vehicle are phenomenal. I guess now the only hope is that they sell enough of the LR3's with the same 255/55R19 to get manufacturers to produce additional tire alternatives. I looked at the Synchrone, however, even Michelin gives it a low self evaluation for winter traction. And the Pirelli, probably a great tire in California. Lastly, the Dunlop 8000, dealer commented they would be terrible in winter. For now it appears that whiteknuckling in the winter is the only option.

While I'm at it, has anyone, operating in a northern climate, experienced a frozen breather issue? My first 2003, froze three times over the course of two winters. Just wanted to see if I was the only one to have this problem.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the good news is your response tells me you have never experienced this issue. When the temperature would drop below -13F(-25C), approximately 2-3 weeks of every year here, the crankcase breather would freeze. Vehicle driven extensively on highway. End result the engine would blow oil out all over the engine compartment. Real nice mess! Dealer added additional heat tape to line to no avail. Suffice to say this happened twice in the first year of service, then once again this past winter. Reason, I was told that mine was the only vehicle in the world to experience this. Thus the reason for my question.

Kind Regards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your dealer may be right! :eek: Land Rovers are developed to withstand at least -30C and breather icing is one of the sign off criteria. :confused Do you know exactly where the ice is forming? Check the breather pipe routing. They should all have a downward run so that condensation cannot pool in them and freeze.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really appreciate the reply. I am unsure as to where the freezing was taking place, other than each time a breather kit was ordered. My predicament, according to the dealer, was discussed with Land Rover who were at a loss for an explanation and thus originated the statement "experienced no where else in the world." Alas, the first vehicle has been traded in owing to lack of a solution to this problem, and I am on the second as of this spring. Unfortunately they cannot guarantee that this one will not suffer the same fate. All they could suggest was that perhaps I should look into buying a winterfront from somewhere. Search for said has turned up little. With fingers crossed and the cold season approaching I guess it will be a matter of "time will tell."

However, armed with your input, I will endeavour to determine if perhaps these lines on this one are somehow routed such that they are prone to accumulation. Many Thanks.

Kind Regards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts