Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am still new to the Rover life, and count myself still very ignorant when it comes to my 99 Discovery I , but I am willing to learn. I am looking for new stock sized tires, and was shown some Goodyears. The new Silent Armor Wranglers and the Fortera. Most of my driving will be on road as this is my main transport, but I do some wilderness camping, and could find myself off road at times. Been on some tamer trails so far and really enjoyed what this truck can do.

Now the question: Does anyone have any experience with either of these tires or have a suggestion? I looked at the Pirelli Scorpions, but they ones I wanted were discontinued, I like Michelin as a brand, but from what I hear the Synchrons are not very good but are priced as a premium tire. The goodyear Forteras are 70K tires and are supposed to be a good all around mixed use tire, but I am leaning toward the 50K Wrangler/Silent Armor.

So, let me know what you think I should do.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
BFG AT/KO are great tires!!!!! I had the syncrones and had no troubles...

·
Registered
161 Posts
RobX4 said:
"...I looked at the Pirelli Scorpions, but the ones I wanted were discontinued..."
Out of curiosity, which ones were you looking for? I've got a near-new set of Pirelli Scorpion ST's sitting in my garage.

Funrover said:
BFG AT/KO are great tires!!!!!..."
I second that. I've had 'em in 3 different sizes and think it's the best tire for all around use.

~Art Vigil

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rob,

Like you, most of us mainly drive on pavement, even if it's only to get to the trailhead. But when you are off road, you can't mess around. You must get home, too. You also never know what conditions you will run into on any trail, so you must be prepared. That's why a lot of us use the BFG A/T KO's. After 32 years of offroading and using my rig ('97 Disco) daily in town, I think they are the best.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tires are a whole lot of personal preference. Ive had my disco for about two months with the stock michelins no complaints on road. The Disco is also my first venture into a vehicle with tires of this type. As far as road tires go, you couldn't give me a set of Goodyears. My GMC sonoma had basic 55 series Goodyears. Very noisy, horrible wet traction and wore very quickly. I replaced with a set of Nitto's and have been very pleased with them. Normally I go with BFG radial TA's but couldn't get them in the size I need, So I would definetly suggest the BFG's also. Nitto makes an offroad tire but i believe that only come in larger sizes and are quite expensive.

·
MG
771 Posts
A lot of folk like the wider tires, not only because it looks better underneath our rigs, but because there's a whole lot more surface area making contact with whatever you happen to be driving over, giving you a better grip.

Thus, many people have 10" wide tires (255 in metric tire parlance). From what I understand, a 70% aspect ratio (255/70) will fit on a stock Disco with no trimming required - I'm "wearing down" my current set to replace them with the 255/70 BFG A/Ts...

Like jkb wrote, it boils down to personal preference.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.