Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot find a direct answer on here.

I'm in the market for some bigger tires from stock. I'm going with the 265/60-18 Duratrac.

My question is will that size fit on the stock spare tire mount or do I need to do a mod to the mount?

A direct answer will be ok. If not, direct me to the right place.

I will also be swapping out the front and rear driveshafts since they are still stock. And since I'm going with bigger tires, now is definitely the time.
I tried contacting GBR in Utah, waiting on a response from them so I can order the heavy duty shafts. I will also be swapping the rubber coupler on the rear to the u-joint.

Thank you

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I am quite sure the spare will NOT fit
I have read that some people have flipped the mount to raise it but have never tried it myself.
There are adapters on the market to space it up BUT I would question the added weight hanging on the rear door.
With the added weight, you may want to consider relocating it to a rack or inside

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Hey "max"
Did you have any complications with the flip? Wiper?
I am building a 2002 and doing a 2 inch terrafirma lift planning on putting on good used set of 275/70r18 cooper discovery. (Picked up wheels and tires for $100)

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
No complications. I took the wiper arm off and repositioned it because I read that you had to, but I honestly think it would have been fine where it was at. It wasn't hitting the carrier, but I wasn't sure if it would deflect down a little bit when actuated, so I rotated it over a cpl degrees to be safe. You can't tell a difference in operation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll order the lifter and see how that works out first.

Anyone ever order a drive shaft from Great Basin Rovers? I contacted them but still haven't gotten a response. I'll wait until tomorrow, after that, I'll check others. Any suggestions on another place to order from?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
From "breakage experience" what should be considered the weakest link in the driveline?
CorrectionTires I picked up are 275/65r18

·
Registered
55 Posts
There may be an added load on the driveshaft or the drivetrain if you go to tires with a relatively larger footprint.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
At this point this is going to be my everyday driver and will be standard diff. .. Not a serious off-road purpose built truck
Will likely swap out the transfer case in the future to a c.d.l. Unit (I currently have 2)

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I can see added load on wheel bearings, ball joints etc.in addition to driveshafts, should not be much difference to the drive axles, c.v. Joints I'm thinking?....?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
That's just a 32" tire. With open diffs you'll be fine on the stock axles, even with mild wheeling. Bigger tires don't place additional strain on the driveshafts, bigger lift/driveline angle does.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help and answers.

I have another one. I don't do much off-roading. I wanted to know the benefit of swapping the rubber coupler on the rear drive shaft to the universal joint. Is there any benefit if I don't do much off-roading. Or is it good to swap just because it's better overall.
If not, where's a good place to get a new rubber coupler, I'm pretty sure I read they were recalled at one point.

Also, a link for a good write up with pics of DIY front and rear drive shaft replace would be a big help too.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
The rear coupling is called a rotoflex. If you have a D2, it'll be fine unless you're running 3+" of lift. Just check it every once in a while and replace it when it starts to get really cracked. They last a while.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.