Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the largest tire size you can put on a stock Discovery is without a lift? Just wondering. I'm getting ready to buy new tires but will eventually put a 2" lift so I didn't want to get anything too small.

·
2,986 Posts
Discovery 1 or 2?

At least on the Disco2, I've heard people fit 265/75/16's on with no rub on regular street driving, once you start getting some articulation w/o a lift they may rub.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
rmuller said:
Discovery 1 or 2?

At least on the Disco2, I've heard people fit 265/75/16's on with no rub on regular street driving, once you start getting some articulation w/o a lift they may rub.
Ryan, he has a D1. it also depends on the tire. The BFGs will rub in a 265/75 but the ProComps in the same size will not rub. The BFG is a very square tire.

Here's a pic of my Procomps:

My 96 DI has the BFG ATs in 265/75 and I had to push out the rear quarter panel so that they don't rub.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am guessing you have a Disco I.

Stock should be 235-70-16.... You could put a 245-75-16

the 245 is a bit taller and you can get away with it. The 235-85-16s require a 2 inch lift min. I have lifted mine 2 inches and purchased the 235-85's and love them.

I am assuming you want height. The 255 will not raise you up much at all, the height aspect is not much different than the stock tires... you will fill in the those fenders, at best.

Be mindful, you should have a 7 inch wide rim and going much over 255 will cause the tire to roll and wear more in the center. The D1 have a little more wiggle room, I believe.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rmuller said:
Discovery 1 or 2?

Hmmm, my bad... It's a Discovery 1. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Just slap on some 265/75/16 MT's and trim. You will not be sorry. DO not go with a bigger tire size as you will lose too much power. With the 265's you will lose some power going uphill.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
roverX said:
Just slap on some 265/75/16 MT's and trim. You will not be sorry. DO not go with a bigger tire size as you will lose too much power. With the 265's you will lose some power going uphill.
What do you mean by "trim", are we talking sheet metal modification or just some minor fender well plastic trim?? :dunno:

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am thinking he means sheet metal at the rear around the fender well.

He is right about the power loss. You put on larger diameter tires and the revolution vs. RPMs drop... you will feel like you are pulling a trailer up a hill if you go too big.

The 235/85 are a fraction taller (I mean that in one millimeter taller) than the 265's. I still think you will have to have lift of at least 2"s to get away with it.

It certainly would look good.

I have a 98 Disco with 2 inch lift... without this lift, I would never have been able to put the 235/85 on and they are only 1 millimeter taller than the 265's. I ran 245/75's before the lift and it worked out okay...

Tires are a heck of a lot more costly than a lift... I would get that lift first then do what what ever you wanted after.

You can lift that rig with a 2" spacer below the spring seat for cheap. Keep in mind, make sure the front spacer comes with a shock relocation kit (means it lifts the shock up 2 inches at the bottom attachment. Easy to do but pain to change, so make sure you do it once the first time with a good set of shocks. Or spend the money and shoot for a OME heavy duty coil lift. Cost more but much better than stock springs.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
9dawgs said:
What do you mean by "trim", are we talking sheet metal modification or just some minor fender well plastic trim?? :dunno:
You need to trim this area:

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the good info John C & TexasRover. I think I'm going with the 245-75-16 BFG ATs. Don't want to cut the sheet metal and right now the tires really need changing so I'll wait on the lift.

TexasRover did you state that I could get 2" of lift without a lift kit but by using spacers? Do you have a supply source for what you mentioned? This might be a good compromise letting me get the better sized tires while waiting on $$ for the OME lift. Let me know :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
more specific please.

I've been pondering this question as well. Every body says triming is required with bigger tires, but what does that mean? What tools? Sawzall? Tin-Snips? Dead blow hammer? Festive craft scissors? :dunno: I want to put 265/75/16 on my Disco1 with a 2" OME lift. What am I going to have to fix in order to get good articulation out of this set up? Thanks in advance guys :wave:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
9dawgs said:
Thanks for the good info John C & TexasRover. I think I'm going with the 245-75-16 BFG ATs. Don't want to cut the sheet metal and right now the tires really need changing so I'll wait on the lift.

TexasRover did you state that I could get 2" of lift without a lift kit but by using spacers? Do you have a supply source for what you mentioned? This might be a good compromise letting me get the better sized tires while waiting on $$ for the OME lift. Let me know :D
You can make your own aluminum spacers for less than $50. The only problem is that your springs are already worn and your vehicle is already (or soon will be) leaning.

As you can see from my pic I run a 265/75/16 Mud Terrain tire with no trimming. I also run a 265/75/16 BFG AT on my 96 DI with no trimming, the bottom 1/4 panels have been pushed out a bit.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
AZROVER said:
I've been pondering this question as well. Every body says triming is required with bigger tires, but what does that mean? What tools? Sawzall? Tin-Snips? Dead blow hammer? Festive craft scissors? :dunno: I want to put 265/75/16 on my Disco1 with a 2" OME lift. What am I going to have to fix in order to get good articulation out of this set up? Thanks in advance guys :wave:
Tin snips will work. OME springs and articulation :lol:

If you want articulation than go with RTE. If you want lifetimw warranty than go with Scorpion Racing. If you want a harder ride than go with OME.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
John C said:
You can make your own aluminum spacers for less than $50. The only problem is that your springs are already worn and your vehicle is already (or soon will be) leaning.

As you can see from my pic I run a 265/75/16 Mud Terrain tire with no trimming. I also run a 265/75/16 BFG AT on my 96 DI with no trimming, the bottom 1/4 panels have been pushed out a bit.
Is your D1 lifted? I don't want to modify the body panels at all if I can help it. Maybe a fender flare would work better? Then the body mods would be covered up. But I do hate how flares look over tires on stock wheels. I guess new wheels say 8 or 9" would be in order if I had the flares and a lift...oh the joys :)

I could probably justify this with the wifey!! You know, the ol' stability issue...Ha! :lol:

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
9dawgs said:
Is your D1 lifted? I don't want to modify the body panels at all if I can help it. Maybe a fender flare would work better? Then the body mods would be covered up. But I do hate how flares look over tires on stock wheels. I guess new wheels say 8 or 9" would be in order if I had the flares and a lift...oh the joys :)

I could probably justify this with the wifey!! You know, the ol' stability issue...Ha! :lol:
Yep, both of them have a 3" lift.

You really don't have to cut out the panels, you just need to push them out a bit. I'll try and get some pics tonight of my 96 with the 1/4 panels pushed out.

9" rims, I think that's a bit too wide. Stay with a 7" if you can.

·
JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
roverX said:
If you trim...make a template so both sides match. I did mine out on the trail with a sawzall so it ain't purty. :eek:
Ha! a sawzaw huh? was it gas powered??? :confused Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do :complain: heck, it ain't got to be purty, just functional ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can get spring spacers made from polyurethane (the same material that they make suspension bushes out of .The product is called a polyurethane elastomer 95 shore 'A' ,look under plastic moulding in your phone book. I work with these products and i am currently making a complete set of radius arm bushes for my 91 disco.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
719jak said:
You can get spring spacers made from polyurethane (the same material that they make suspension bushes out of .The product is called a polyurethane elastomer 95 shore 'A' ,look under plastic moulding in your phone book. I work with these products and i am currently making a complete set of radius arm bushes for my 91 disco.
91 Disco, so I guess you're in the UK?

Poly bushes under your springs??? Folks in the US have had bad experiences with poly bushes. They don't know the difference between the different polybush brands or materials. Someone in the US posted a pic of a polybush bending and twisting out of shape and now everyone (not everyone but most people) think that all polybushes will "perform" poorly. Since you work with these products I hope you can enlighten us on the different materials and strengths and also tell us how the strength and stiffness is measured.

You know what would be a great product? A body lift made out of Poly like they have for Jeeps. If you can make these then let me know and I will sell them here in the US. Nobody makes them for LRs (at least no in the US).

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.