Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got 06 HSE with like new 19" Blizzak's. Summer will eat them up. So whats my best option ? GY silent armor 19"s or go to 18" rims that come with terra graplers. Is there a very noticeable difference in ride quality along with a better selection at a better price? Has anyone tried mastercraft tires a division of cooper?

· Registered
2,065 Posts
If you drive dirt then there is nothing satisfactory in a 19" rim size unless GY have finally released the Duratrac's in the 19" flavor as is available in Europe. 18" rim size and the possibilities open up considerably. I like the TOYO all terrain's myself and run them on my 06 LR3. OPEN COUNTRY A/T | Toyo Tires

Huge selection of 19" road bias treads though so if you drive mainly pavement. 19" GY have a very bad reputation on the LR3's, I have no personal experience of this but I do with the pirelli scorpions, and they were crap.

· Registered
218 Posts
I run Goodyear MT/Rs 255/55/19 on a set of 19"s as well as a set of Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on a set of 19s in the same size.

Alenzas are total highway tires. MT/Rs are bad ass everywhere else. Goodyear no longer makes the MT/R in the 19" which sucks, but mine are mostly new.

You're right though, get those nearly brand new Blizzaks off the truck asap.

· Registered
2,065 Posts
I run an aftermarket 18" wheel to replace the OEM 19". I still have the 19's, I just never use them.

I'm kinda old skool when it comes to wheel size, especially on a 4WD vehicle, so I don't like the larger rims much. Waffer thin rubber and huge wheels are for race cars and rap stars IMO.

My LR3 gets driven on a lot of dirt roads so the 18" rim gives you more rubber between you and the road. A 18" wheel is as small as you can get away with on a Gas V8 LR3 because the brakes are so big. In markets where the diesel V6 is offered they can fit a 17" wheel on that model due to a smaller brake/caliper size.

It is worth noting however that all the European Land Rover Experience centres and the trio of LR4's that traveled from Birmingham to Beijing all had 19" wheels with the truly excellent GoodYear Dura-trac's. I love this tyre and run it on my Rangie and 3/4 ton Dodge. Not sure if they are available here yet in 19" sizes or not, they were being produced in Germany for the European market?

Since swapping to an 18" wheel size the only differences I have noticed is a more comfortable ride, greater tyre fitment options and way less punctures.

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
North Dakota go'es from the Red River Valley(ware I live) in the east, Rich black dirt with clay under it (mudmudmud) to the Bad lands out in the western part of the state with mud that will grow on your tires un tell there suck in your wheel wells. Then it turns into concrete when it dries. Never seen anything like it. If it starts to rain out there you get to a road quick or sit and wait for the sun to come out. Out west there's rocks sticking out of the hills every ware. Plus i'm a contractor going on to construction sites. Did I mention we had snow on the ground for 6 1/2 months. Well GY silent armor 19"s or get into the 18"s. Wow i've really narrowed it down.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
15in rims no doubt provide the most rubber between rims and hazards especially while on the trail. I never would've considered running big rims on an off road vehicle...but now, for my particular situation, I find many benefits from it. My 04 DII, equipped with 18" rims made for expensive first tire change and ify availability for the tires I plan to run. Outside of 15in rims 17"&20" are the best tire availabilities and costs. It cost me 200 extra dollars for 20 rims(used) and tires vs just tires 18". Now I know what people say about bigger rims of road but mine work excellent in the sand and mud in my area. A 275/45/20 is almost 31 in..which would a been very expensive filling the wheel wells with 18in. 18in doesn't have a lot of side wall either.

I plan to run a 275-305/55/20 which equals 33in. It will have considerably more sidewall than stock 18. Plus I will have the ability to use a 33in street tire chosen for all terrain and swap a 33 in mudder on the same spare. They are way more street able at those sizes. They also provide better gas mileage numbers. Not by much but every little bit counts. But I have to say if I lived in the rocks like most of the people here I wouldn't even considered it. It works for me....well.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
I'm sorry just figured I'd mention they're about 40$ cheaper a tire and have every brand and tread variation. 19-20 arent much different. I was only giving logical reasoning why it worked for me. Like there are used 20" rims for land rover/ range rover every where.Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut when people ask questions like most people here now. No wonder no one wants to help anymore.

· wags
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, relax I do thank you for the info, I didn't even consider 20"s because of the conditions up here and the short side wall staying at 31". You will have to go with johnson rods to fit the 33s won't you?

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
Lol...my bad. Believe it or not I'm a little less jumpy here than I used to be. Everything comes off harsh typed out. Especially when I do it. I misunderstood.

I just wanted to throw it out there to ya. It ain't much bigger than 19 is why I thought of it and much cheaper. That being said if rocks and such are in your future this is not your best option. As I said a 20 inch with increased tire size could come close to the same sidewall as your current 19in so if you don't see extreme rock climbing in your future it is a viable alternative. I have used mine for a year and a half with no issues except where I rubbed pretty hard at full flex and gouged the sidewall but that was over 20k mi ago and still no issues and I'm pretty hard on em.

I own a D2 which would require spring lift. Yours would definitely require a lift for 33s. You should prolly just stick with 18s. I mainly wanted to state 18s were stock for me and I didn't like the tire availability or price, they're used more on cars than what I was looking for.

· Registered
7 Posts
Looking to also figure out what tires now are good for 50,000 miles or more. Looking for all weather tire (even for a little off-road) for 255/55/19's .. Don't have 18" or 20"; just need to get mine replaced quickly for the 19". Got holes from nails in new construction areas around town. I just see answers on forums all over the place but many are old from 2010 or older; just not sure what is good now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.