Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had a discussion with a guy who owns a fine RR and Jag repair shop; here's got lots of years of experience and respect.

I ask him if he would change the tranny filter and he responded that he doesn't take apart trannys with high mileage ( mines 149,750). too big a risk, a failure after a recent service would bring the customer back at him for blame.

You pros and experienced DYI'ers. how many have done your own and no problems? and at what mileage? How many see his point?

maybe more action on this form!

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
I serviced the tranny in my '95 RRC when it had 180,000 miles and had no problems. However, I have heard disaster stories when the tranny fluid and filter were changed on high mileage transmissions. I may have just been lucky with mine.

Colin

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I cannot see how replacing the filter could cause any risk of failure. You are only dropping the sump and not touching anything else.

The risks of not changing the filter are however quite high. Do a search on people with transmissions not wanting to change out of first gear. This is the result of not changing the filter and **** getting in the governor on high milage transmissions.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You should change the oil and filter. They are designed to be serviceable and require service. Not to do so is just insane.
Lots garage owners like fixing new stuff that isn't broke. It makes them look good.
My 2c.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.