Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I've been stalking these forums looking for info about towing with a Disco II. There are little bits of info in multiple different forum posts, but I think will need to do a more comprehensive overhaul of my Disco and would like advice.

The Disco under consideration is a 2000 Disco II with ~160,000 miles. I am looking to tow about 5,500 LBS and would be towing at least twice a month for at least 500 miles. I am going across the US for a year in a travel trailer, and while I'll try and not get caught in crazy weather or road conditions, it could happen.

The Disco had one previous owner (boyfriend's parents) who regularly did basic service on it.

I am looking to other members on this forum for tips and advice about what parts of the vehicle to prepare. Right now my list includes:

1. New Tires
2. Installation of appropriate hitch
3. Installation of Trailer brakes
4. Servicing the vehicle's brakes

Additional things I am not sure about installing include:
1. Extra transmission cooler

I would appreciate any tips members have, as this would be my first time towing long distance and for extended periods of time.

Thanks!:nerd

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
I would disagree
These vehicles are quite capable and are rated for towing up to 7700 pounds!
I have towed 5000 to 5500lbs. With my 2002 and although it is no powerhouse with that kind of weight behind it, it did just fine!
The standard / stock hitch is sufficient but you may want to consider a weight distribution and sway control setup for your receiver.

Check out the "sticky" thread " major service for high milers - over 90,000 miles. Lots of good maintenance advice.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Go for it then. Just let me know how it goes.

That much weight with that many miles to haul no matter how much maintenance you do I guarantee you will be left stranded.

I love my rovers, but I'm also realistic about expectations.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I towed my boat and camper (3500lbs / 2200lbs) with mine all last summer with no issues, maybe 12,000km (7500 miles) worth of towing. I do have an aftermarket transmission cooler which has two electric fans thermostatically controlled (came in the kit) I mounted mine and built an aluminum plate to keep the **** out but still gets good airflow. Still working good after 2 years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
maybe upgrade to an 03-04 tranny cooler (the largest of all), and look at doing an engine oil cooler with a 2nd 03-04 tranny cooler. perhaps a Ford electric fan conversion & 180 thermostat too. gotta keep it all cool.
these aren't ideal to tow with, but it can be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.