Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never really thought about this as I paid cash for my 04 D2 a couple years ago. Is it beneficial to get Other than Collision or Collision insurance? For me OTC is $12.95 a month($250 Deductible) and Collision is $22.25($500 Deductible) a month on top of liability.

I ask for two reasons..One, I hit a deer for the first time ever in my wifes 06 Jetta Diesel and it caused $5300 in damage(we had Other than Collision) which woke me up. Two, I can usually and arrogantly say I avoid accidents I would cause because I drive cautiously slow with the D2, but that deer came out of nowhere and if that did $5300 to the D2, well it would probably be retired.

My 04 D2 is in great shape, but it has 105k miles and well you all know, it isnt worth a lot so I feel like they would just total my truck and give me diddly for it.

What do you guys generally do insurance wise?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Full comp for me. I'm more worried about injury bills than replacing the truck. You can say you can avoid accidents all you want but that drunk asshole with no insurance in the lane next to you might not.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Insurance laws are different in every state.....online advice isn't the best idea. Find a couple of local agents to explain it to you.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Get a steel bumper - never worry about deer again.

In in all seriousness the amount of insurance you carry depends on what you're personally comfortable with. But the general rule of thumb is to carry full coverage only when your yearly cost for the additional comp & collision is under 10% of your car's value.

NADA values (what insurance uses) for a '04 D2 with 105K miles are just a tick over $5000, which means you shouldn't be paying more than $500/year for full coverage.

I personally had fully coverage on my '03 D2 for the 2 years it was my daily at a cost of $90/month. As soon as I got another daily I went down to minimum coverage at a cost of $20/month. That alone saved me over $800/year, so it made sense.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.